map-marker Anderson, Indiana

Capital One should be avoided at all costs.

I had been a customer in good standing for years with Capital One and enjoyed a low rate on my cards. 2 months ago they sent me a rate change in the mail wanting to raise my raise to over 17%. I called cancelled the cards froze the rate at my low rate and continued to pay them off. I was the victim of theft with my checking account which I made my payments so my bank put a Hold on the account. Well an automatic payment went through to my Cap 1 card but was returned because of the hold and Cap 1 raised my interest to a default rate of 23.3 %. Even though I had never missed a payment and kept the account in good standing they raised the rate. I even called and explained what happen and offered to fax copies of the banks affidavits and police report and they still refuse to do anything to assist me. They want me to wait 90 days before they will consider a rate change when I had never been late before. Scoundrels at best is how I would describe them, what's worse is that these criminals took T.A.R.P funds from the American people then turned right around and started screwing them on their interest rates. The new consumer credit protection legislation won't help either as it doesn't go into effect until next year. Congress likes to pretend they did the American people a favor by passing it but the fact is they wanted to give their campaign contributors enough time to nail customers with fees and interest hikes before the legislation would take effect that's why it doesn't take effect for 9 months. Its practices like this that gives the free market a bad name. I am going to hold off getting another credit card until after the legislation takes effect. You can be sure it won't be with Capital One too. Sincerely, Another Cap 1 victim
map-marker Saint Charles, Missouri

Capital One are crooks

I am a long standing customer and had my intrest rate increased. I payed the balance and disputed the charge. They blaughed it off and blew me off and now after I paid the entire balance a new chage of $17 dollars was added to punish me. Stay away from this company and any one that has contact with this company. They refuse to correct anything or give back money "stolen" form my account. Remember I have a paid off account and they want $17 dollars more and refuse to give back my overcharge. Run , run fast and do not allow them to get into your life.

They suck you in when you have bad credit, saying they will help improve your credit score. I pay every month, sometimes a few days late.

I was below my credit limit, but because I paid four days late, I got charged $39 and then another $39 because it put me over the limit.

Then they put me with a collection agency!!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Capital One has the most rapacious business practices that I have ever heard of. Do Not have anything to do with them!

How do capital one employees sleep at night??? they are theives!

when will the government help? MAFIA!!!!

There are NO good credit lenders out there.....PERIOD! They all are in it for massive profits.

It's best to NOT lend.

Pay cash, or check. Go to your bank for BIG loans.

After paying my acct. in full, Capital 1 charged me a $5.00 service charge.

I called & got no where. Then I sent a letter via e-mail & the $5.00 was removed from my acct. Even though I pay my acct. in full every month, they raised my interest rate & will be raised again in Jan.

to 29%. It was 7.9% Go figure! Don't close your acct.

it will only go 'against' your credit rating! Just don't use it!

map-marker Santa Clara, California

Quit crying

guess what dumbas*es, if you live within your means, this wont happen to you, sorry life is not fair, be a little more responsible, you create your own problems, and you need to be pissed at yourself, noone cares how pissed you are at capital one, they have millions of happy responsible consumers capital one gives me compound interest on my bank accounts, and they have always been fair with me is there things i would like to buy instead of putting my money in the bank?? yes of course stop living like pigs, wake up america, be responsible, quit looking for handouts

maybe you should think about payment protecion its real cheap and its help u if u ever get in a bind it will help it saves when u really need it

in reference to quit crying..

I was living within my means.. the the economy crashed, but I held on, and then I developed two blood clots in my leg and was hospitalized...over 20 grand because I am un-insurable due to pre-existing. I did not say, I could get insurance for a small fortune, I am 100% UNINSURABLE.. those 2 factors sucked me savings dry. I called Cap.1 and asked if I was eligible for a 2 month deferment since I have NEVER BEEN late. I was told yes. filled out my paperwork, sent it in. They took the 35 dollar fee. Then I get a call a month later saying, I actually was NOT eligible. And they demanded me pay the full two months. I said No, I paid one month, and made arrangements to have the other month deferred, because according to them , even though I wasnt eligible for 2 month deferment, I was for a one month. So it's all good, right. NOPE. THEIR mistake cost me extra fee's so after they again took a 35 dollar defer fee from me, the called me the next day and said that the fee's made me ineligible, unless I paid them, and another car payment. I told them *** no. They were supposed to credit me the thirty five dollars back. Still havent seen it. And now they call every day. No one tells the same story.. no one reads notes, and half of them dont even take notes, even though they say they do.

Capital One is one of the most corrupt companies I have ever had to deal with. They called me today and asked when I was making my payment, I told them I didn't know, so they started hounding me. I informed them they were lying *** and could kiss my rear end and hung up.... its not all about people not living within their means. This company LIES and manipulates accounts in order to collect more fee's. Congress should have left their *** out to fry!! And I am contacting my attorney general.

Hey quit crying you can *** it!! If you don't want to her pissed consumers voice their opinions about companies that suck...then guess what...go to another website!!!

Sheesh!! Some people are idiots!

I have to agree with "Quit Crying". While the posting is abrupt and straight to the point; it's 100% correct!

People need to take responsibility for their actions. No one forced you to apply for the credit card. No one held a gun to your head and made you max out your credit card. Financially responsible people do not allow themselves to be put in such a "sticky situation".

If you maintain an excellent credit score (750+) (and just because you pay your bills on time every month, doesn't necessarily mean that you have excellent credit... especially when you're barely making the minimum payments on a half dozen maxed out credit cards... being over extended is never a good sign to creditors or the credit agencies), then you can simply apply with a different bank, transfer the balance, and close out the account with the "bad" bank.

Stop crying and whining because "the big bad evil bank" is making you pay back what you borrowed. A smart consumer wouldn't have let themselves be put in such a situation to begin with.

we'll "quit crying" if you promise not to cry when one of these predatory credit companies is anally raping you

To those living within their means (or claim to be), remove your job. Can you survive and pay all your bills for 8mnths min?

If not, you are outside your means. Heck, I spend 165/mnth for cable and internet. I dont need it. The original post is rather cut throat, however I just view it as tough love.

Alot of us do need a brick in the face to wake us up. Im just now getting my credit back on track and Capital One has been more than helpful and very nice to me.

Well, I think the only pig here is Y O U! You showed how ignorant you really are with your thoughtless and *** comments.

I know people who put their chemo-therapy on their credit cards!!!

By the way, just exactly what actions on the consumers part gave capital one the right to be loan sharks??? Greedy company and I hope they go out of business!!!

to the original poster...*** you! i lived within my means until the recession hit me hard.

with capital one i missed one payment and it went downhill from there. they would not work with me at all for any repayment plans and refused to work with my debt consolidater. all my other credit cards were very helpful during this time.

they recently sued me and won their case...the judge was a total *** by the way. they are gonna have to wait to get a cent out of me!

This person must be working the phones for Capital One. I've read the news about them laying off collectors.

I'm so sorry. :cry Welcome to the real world, sweetie.

*** Beotch

Its people like you that put us all in a recession.

View more comments (10)
map-marker Plano, Texas

SKIM SCAM SUM

Cash deposit made before 3:00 and still no acess to my money after 4 days!!! Is the banking system really sound? Since our company was changing deposit days I was confident they would screw it up... They did ok but a 1000 CASH deposit was messed up. I got an ATM balance and THEN confirmed it at the bank tellers window and was told NO fees could be charged for the use of the money. Found out later by chance they were showing a -661 balance!!! When I asked them they were also charging 31 dollars that escalated to 35 the next day!!! I got the dated CASH reciept from the BANK and they still want to pass it on to someone else to make the decision... I tryed to tell them that MADDOFF no longer was in charge but they would not listen!!! BS
paula v Mhy
map-marker Los Angeles, California

Turned me down for a credit card. I havnt dealt with you for more then 8 years.

I had a prepaid credit card from you and kept up paying so my limit went up. I then vanished for 8 years and had no use of the credit card. I havnt had any use of any credit card in over 8 years. Why was I turned down. according to the letter I was deliquent on payments. Not so I had no payments. Is there any way we can come up with an agreement on what I owe or owed you years ago, im trying to establish credit in my name. If my card was used after August 2001 then it wasnt me using it. I at least deserve a free credit report. Can you at least send me that?
Loss:

you won't get any credit from capital one. While it may no longer show on your credit report capital one still remembers.

And you won't get any credit from them.

As an account manager for capital one i can tell you this for sure

hueralli
map-marker Idaho Falls, Idaho

Capital One raised my interest rate to 27%

I was always happy with Capital One until about two months ago when they raised our interest rate from 9.9% to 27%! When I called, I was told that the area I live in is considered high risk and therefore they could not lower my interest rate. I paid off my balance in full thinking that my original interest rate would be reestablished. Again, I was told by customer service that my interest rates could not be lowered. I immediately closed that account and will never do business with them again. Their business practices are predatory. I am done with them.
KennethCanady
map-marker Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Unjustified late fee charged by Capital One

i payed my monthly payment plus an additional $62.00. My authorization code was dated 01May. Capital One charged me $38.00 late payment fee. I called Capital One customer service and was offered half off the late fee to make things right. I informed the representative I expected full $38.00 credit. She refused to offer me anything over half. I am pissed and intend to transfer my balance A.S.A.P. I told the phone person of my intentions and she was unconcerned. I have used this account since 2006,but NO MORE. Good-bye Mr. One and all your greedy predator ways.
Loss:

There has to be a way to stop them from robbing people. I'm going to report them to the BBB and Clark Howard in Atlanta, GA. Also I'm going to see if a "Class Action" can be filed against "Capital One Auto".

View more comments (2)
map-marker Wentzville, Missouri

Capotol One is raising my interest 100%

After 14 years with Capitol One they've decided to jack up my interest rate 100% this coming January 2010. I have NEVER been late with a payment in all that time and almost always pay well over the minimum due. My credit score hovers 800 give or take. I've had 4 or 5 bank loans within the past 14 years and ALL are paid off and paid years before the term of said loans. When January gets here I will have finished paying off that card and be finished with the idiots that govern Capitol One's policies.

they cant raise your rate by 100% that doesnt happen

If you are on Facebook...join the group "Boycott Capital One." Unfortunately there is more than one of these groups so join the one that is the largest.

Butt Heads...that's too good for those *** that run Capital One. Capital One deserves to go bankrupt. Every one of their customers should leave and let this inept company collapse on itself!

Capital One raised my rates on the 2 cards that I had with them without notifying me so i am just going to pay the minimun required until March of 2010 then I qualify to file bankruptcy again so that is what they will get in return from me for doing this. If they had left me alone they would have gotten their money but being they were butt heads they will not be getting their money back. In my opinion they deserve to get screwed.

View more comments (3)
Joe C Cni
map-marker Chicago, Illinois

Capital One when a bill isn't the bill

I had a balance of 206.72 with capital one so I paid the entire amount on time believing I was finished..right. I just received my new statement with a finance charge of 3.18 on the bill I already had paid. When I called the customer service I was told I should have called for the pay out amount. What a racquet that the bill is really not all the bill. I will never use this card again what an incredible rip off. I did asked the representive if I was going to be billed finance charges on the finance charges but of course she couldn't answer that one Joe Chicago

hahaha i love when ppl complain about senseless things. you have to understand that intrest is always charge a month behind its the ONLY possible way to charge intrest!!

for ex: lets say your balance was 206.72 but you carried that balance for a few days right? well ANY bank will charge a lil intrest everyday on the balance you carry so when you paid off the full amount so you still owe the bank the intrest for those few days you carried that balance... and that is why you receive another statement of jus intrest charges.

next time insted of getting mad you should ask the rep to explain how intrest is charged or read your terms and conditions. and no intrest cannot be charged on top of intrest

I agree with all of the comments about Capital One Auto, they are so misleading. Yo talk to customer service they half @*$$ give you the information, I have asked for a copy of my contract....have not received it.

The bill that they send in the mail appears to be misleading, when you call their automated systems you get a different amount from the actual bill mailed to you every month.

They have a very strange way of conducting business. I am currenty trying to see what will it take to file a "Class Action Suit" aganist them.

Be careful, this company is a monster, and needs to be stopped. Next time you call them, be polite, and remember that the call is being recorded.

Then tell them how you feel. If enough customers do this, maybe they will get the message. I also recommend that anyone with a Capital One account, close it immediatley. They will then get the message.

Keep also in mind, that when they call you, it is possible, (even if your caller ID says otherwise), that you may be speaking with one of their agents in India or the Phillipines.

They have offices there, too. This is deceptive, and should be, if it is not, illegal.

it is the same with any credit card. unless you pay off every month.

the interest is there once there is interest. you pay it off.

but you will get a bill for the interest the next month. just the way it is.

they did the same thing to me for 15.00

map-marker Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania

Due to the economy my interest rate skyrocketed!!??

This is a repost that I am posting on every Cap one post in hopes that no one will give this company the time of day. Had our account for 11 years. NEVER a late payment and always a good customer. We got a "change of terms" in the mail stating that our interest rate was going from 10.5% to 17.99%!!! I called and asked them why and after waiting 20 minutes on hold I got to speak to a person I could not understand and only told me that it was stated on my change of terms mail why. No it wasn't I said. They finally told me that it was because of my account activity. I asked what exactly they meant because I have an excellent record with them. She told me she couldn't say why. I closed my account. No more credit cards for us. If anyone is thinking of getting a new credit card right now, please think it through and don't forget to read any fine print.

This exact thing has happed to me, 9.9% to 17.9%, the person after 20min hold told me they sent a leter allowing you to opt out of the interest rate change! I was like WHAT?

How would someone see that choose not to! Im sure it looked like Junk mail. at any rate it should not be able to raise interest rate on money already charged. Its like your car payment you chose to pay back at an agreed apon rate, it doesnt change.

Fine to change the rate for future purchases. AARGGGHH

Well...they can't exactly say that "due to the greed and ineptitude of Capital One management, we are forced to raise interest rates..."

These *** at Capital One will destroy the company. What arrogance to raise credit card rates to their highest rates in over 20 years when interest rates overall are near historic lows.

My wallet was stolen and all kinds of unauthorized activity on my Capital One card has put me over the limit and continues to keep me there. I had contacted Capital One immediately and requested they stop my account when the wallet was stolen.

Apparently, they weren't listening to me because they have sent me another card with the same number on it. I've asked them to close my account, and they won't. In the meantime, the over limit charges are adding up like crazy and it is ruining my credit.

I've reported them to the fraud division in my state. This is outrageous!

Most credit card companies are going through a change of interest rates due to the economy. This, to me, makes no sense.

I understand they want money, but how exactly does an increase in interest rates of those who have accounts in good standing really make sense. This is a form of corporate suicide.

The rates need to stay the same, if not be lowered by a few points in order to encourage people to buy products on credit, thus generating revenue for not only the card companies, but also for other businesses. Capitol One, ChaseManhattan, and Discover all need to rethink their "strategies" during this economic crisis.

Candance Vll
map-marker Orlando, Florida

Trying to steal from me, will not pay!!!!!!!!!!

I payed off capital one acc. then they charged me 700.00 on an acc.I did't use, they would not send statements or *** credit report,5 yrs.latter sent wife a collect. notice for 925.00 for which we know nothing about!!!!! RUINED MY CREDIT, Why can,t the feds control such unsruplolus practices from companies that continue to decieve and pilage the unsuspecting and poor ? I am going to lodge my complaint with F.T.C and my congressman and senator and B.B.B. and to whom ever will listen. Advise all to do the same !

map-marker Newark, New Jersey

Capitol One = *** Bags

Capitol One is equivalent to the last *** I took. I hate these bastards and one day they will get theirs. If you owe Capitol One money and cannot pay, they will continue to haunt and haunt you. Capitol one is infamous for sending credit card holders that are in default, pre-approved credit card offers. Don't be fooled by these practices. If you choose to accept their offers, don't be surprised when they post a payment from the new account to the old defaulted account to extend the Statue of limitations. It would give me great pleasure to see Capitol One collapse. Watch Capitol One, they are very stealthy and dishonest.
map-marker Dallas, Texas

Capital One Raised my interest rate!!!

Capital One raised my interest rate from 5.9% to 15.9% just for kicks. I've always paid on time and I haven't used the card in over 1 1/2 yrs. A while back they tried to raise it to 10.9 % and I said NO and told them to close it and that I would pay it off at the 5.9 %, that is how it works with all other banks I've dealt with. They said they couldn't close it until it was paid off, but wouldn't raise my interest rate if I didn't use it. Today, 1 1/2 yrs later, I get a bill with an interest rate of 15.9 % and was told that I had 2 options, pay the bill in full or pay at the 15.9% rate. These people are thieves, not only do they take tax money from the government, but they also screw us over with the interest rate.
#120193

i applied for 5.9% rate card got a card in mail after a few months noticed my interest rate was 19.9% Capital one tells me i did not qualify for 5.9% so they gave the highest interest rate possible i just canceled my card Capital one SUCKS

My rate was also increased from 5.9% to 15.9% for no reason. I have been unemployed for over 4 months and when I called to close the account and maintain the 5.9% rate, I was told that I was a day late and could not get the 5.9%.

This has raised my minimum payment by $100 (all finance charges). It is complete B.S. that we are given the ultimatim of either close your account (Which damages your FICO score) or take it up the ***! I have never had a late paument in my life and I am 34 years old!!!

*** Capital One! Surely we can come together and fight these Bastards!!!!!

View more comments (1)
map-marker Bradenton, Florida

Capital One raised my credit card rate fron 7.9 to 24.9 reason given bad economic times nothing else

I have been a Capital One credit card holder since 2002,I switched because they offered a 0% rate. I have never been late , never over the limit , never a bad check , only on time excellent pay. They just raised my 7.9 rate to 24.9 rate .After talking to several SUPERVISORS they could only tell me that it was because they were in bad economic times and had a lot of other card holders that were bad so I was paying for their poor credit. I will never go back to this company and warm others to beware.

I had 2 cards with them, and they did the same thing to me with perfect credit no less. I opted out of the new terms and they closed my accounts, and now I'm paying them off at my original interest rates. Screw 'em.

All you do is tell them that this is not accecptable and close my account and that they lost you as a customer. If everyone does this they will change their tune. Or they will have no customers left.

That's exactly what they told me about jacking my rate to 18% from 9% effective Jan 1st 2010. This after 14 years of doing business with them, NEVER being late with a payment and always paying over the minimum and having a credit score of 800.

These *** are driving their GOOD customers away and then crying to the government to bail their sorry, greedy ***'s out. Leaves little wonder as to why our economy is in the dire straights that it's in! When January arrives my bill will be paid in full.

I'll be done with that and Capitol one. They can go down in ashes over their own greed and stupidity.!*^%& them!!

View more comments (2)
Huzaifa Aty
map-marker Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Capital One *** Service Not "Its Own" Fault

Capital One has become a mega-bank: gobbling up tiny, defenseless banks (North Fork, Hibernia, Chevy Chase), destroying their infrastructure and implementing its own corporate baggage and melodrama. If you've noticed that Capital One's Customer Service has gone to *** in a hand basket, there's a really good reason why. Soon, very few--if any--internal departments will have a vested interest in the well-being of the company or the satisfaction of the customers. Capital One, in its last-ditch effort to save money (who also, by the way, took some of the bailout money) and grow even larger, has begun outsourcing everything from HR to IT. Now the current employees work alongside--and train--contract workers, who are only there to fulfill a contractual obligation. Many employees know they are training the contractors or other outsiders for their own jobs. This does not make Capital One's employees too thrilled to work under a company who will soon fire them (oh, excuse me: lay them off) for cheaper labor. And so the poor attitude and dim outlook trickles down to the Bank Managers, the Loan Officers, the Underwriters, and the Tellers. Once the transition to outsourced or contract work is complete, none of the "outside" workers will really care what happens within Capital One or to its customers because Capital One isn't their employer, it's a customer which can easily be replaced by another. Capital One isn't employing "it's own" workers, and so can also drop one contractor or outsourced department for another: fully re-training, re-familiarizing, and wholly inefficiently re-hiring a whole new set of "employees" as often as necessary. So, while you may not personally care that Capital One outsources or will outsource most positions/departments, you will care once you realize outsourced workers don't care about you, your business, or the internal health of the company for which they contract. Capital One's *** customer service isn't "it's own" fault, but the fault of the uninterested staff.

I'm beginning to believe most U.S. large corporations have a CEO and a small cadre of employees with everything else outsourced.

This is our new global economy. Wake up and smell the coffee folks...this isn't going to change anytime soon.

If someone is willing to work in another country for $2.50 as a 3rd party without health insurance or benefits being paid by a huge corporation, what financial choice do you think will be made by that and every other similar corporation? Times are changing and it sucks.

• 1