Capital One Auto

I have never had so many problems as I have with Capital One. As of yesterday, they told me I owed $2,052 immediately or they would pick up the vehicle. Mind you I had a statement showing how much my payment was and which was remitted. I had two extensions on the loan way back and they stated that was the reason - at the end of the contract - however they did not say that at the time of extensions. Never, never will I do business with Capital One Again! The people they have working there are totally rude and you will get a different story everytime you call. Example - last year received a sum of money called in and stated I was sending the money to pay payments ahead - was told perfectly fine. As it turned out they will only accept 3 payments at a time. Never once was this stated and trying to get this figured out was so time consuming.

i have had major problems wiht them as well. They told me that they were retrorating my account before i left on delployment, since i had bought the car on active duty, and that would put me ahead.

They also told me the exact amount of the new payment and when to start paying it, including a one time payment to get me even before they did this. i have all proof in writting and in statements. well, eight months into my deployment, my poa tells me that i am 9 mos behind on my car payment, even though i had been paying $150 more than payment amount and had been making dual payments during several months. Well, when i got home, it took me 6 mos to get an explanation of that the original person involved had miscommunicated with me they were sorry.

I did credit disputes and everything trying to get those months of late payments removed, because i was and am being denied for my first home due to this.

Sorry just does not cut it. I will never choose them as my lender again.

#119003

Dear "me"

Eat ***

stop trolling a**wipe.

#119001

Dear me,

Eat ***

I have a great idea. If everyone of you whinny people would just make your payments on time.

Like the contract stated this site would not even exist. Or lets gripe that you do not read the contract when the company lends you $20,000 to buy the car that you picked out.

lets gripe that they make money by lending you money or credit. Just make you payments---- nough said

Capital One is full of ***.

I would have gladlt paid all my payments as required, in fact I did for 3 years. You smart as SOB.

I hope you can't find a job for 2 years and your wife doe not get cancer with out med insurance, and her medication alone is $11,000.

00 per month. SO *** Y@@!!

COAF works in simple interest loans, if you understand that, you would understand why your payoff was so much. For one, when you get a deferment, it extends your loan out a month, but by not paying in that month your paying more in interest when you do make payments, therefor less goes to principle and you end up with a balloon payment at the end. Also, how many payments you had over 30 dpd comes into account, if you continually made late payments, more went to interest and less to principle.

And your concern about paying ahead, if customers actually read their contracts, they would notice it states you can pay 3 months ahead, whatever is over goes to principle, unless otherwise specified.

No one should be complaining about Capital One Auto, if you did what you signed in the contract to do, which is to make your payment BY the due date EVERY month, there would be absolutely no problem. Read the fine print.

@PissedConsumer35065

Ever heard of Soldiers and Sailors relief act? Learn your FDCPA laws before you speak!

View more comments (7)
Nashville, Tennessee

Verified Reviewer

Capital One Abusive phone solicitation over 20x per day!!

using the number 1-80*-955-****, Capitol One Telemarketers never stop calling my home number trying to get me to buy something. I hang up or let them know my disgust; however, they are relentless. calls start at 7:30 a.m. and continue until 9P.M. Capitol One has to be...

I get phone call from capital one every day and now during the night

Is anybody have an idea on how to stop them from doing that ???

View more comments
Mission Viejo, California
Loss

Sue them sue them i am sueing them for geving my id away sue them and they will not show up in cour

sue them i am for 4080.00 and they they will not show up in court cost to much and they will not win no one likes cap one *** does not last long in the usa my be inda. this is not inda my be thats why cap one is they so out of the usa and i hope they show up in court so i can show the mass, court that the police had to be put on hold for 60days on my about my id that was stolen becuse of this co. and they made it hard to get copys of bal trans checks police dept.also cap one will not change my address for ayear now i get two days to pay mybill sue sue sue them now you will not be sorry

I realize everyone makes the occasional spelling or grammatical error. But when a person posts something so fraught with them reading become difficult, three things, at least, happen:

1. I don't understand the post.

2. I take it the poster of the post doesn't really care that much neither for the subject of his own post, nor for its reader. In other words, the poster isn't taking things seriously and cares less if s/he is wasting my time.

3. I generally do not go back to try to figure it out.

Please do better in the future.

I can see by what little you have written none of you are telling the whole story. Stolen ID??

Do you know that your ID can be stolen from anywhere. Several companies tj max hannafords just to name a few had 1000's of customers info compromised.

Not Capital Ones fault ***. Read the fine print and pay your bills on time you will have no problem.

Iam so tired of home call from NCO and Capitol One, Iam sueing, My stepson owes the bill not me, Iam 75 yrs old and they just laught at me and Iam disabled and in a scooter. They are as corupt and try to intimidate and when you say you are recording there call they hand up.

NO Guts, Bring them on, at 75 I am ready to take them to the highest court for respecting one pravicy, and to the senate and the house if I have too. Ive never been afarid of loan sharks or liers. even those so called lawyers that tell you the law when I have it on my computer right in front of me.

they are liers, liers, so come on, Iam ready. bullies never did anything for me except be cowards.

Learn Learn Learn English!

That is BY FAR the longest run on "sentence" ive EVER seen.

Seriously, none of this makes any sense.

Assonet, Massachusetts

Capital One

I had a Capital One credit card. At first, I liked the card until they kept raising my interest rate. I paid on time each and every month, and still, my interest continued to climb. I decided to pay it off and close the account. I always believe it is best to put things in writing to any company, so, I wrote a letter to Capital One and requested that my account be closed. The following month, I received a bill with a Zero balance on it and the status of the account was open. I called Capital One and verbally requested that the account be closed. I was assured that it would be taken care of and I also returned my bill with the words "Please close this account" and my signature on it as back up. The next month, I received a bill with a Zero balance and open status. I called again, they claim they had no record of my request to close the account and assured me (once again) that it would be closed. I once again, sent my bill back and wrote "4th request, close this account". The next month, I received a bill....etc. etc. IT TOOK ME SIX (6) TIMES WRITING AND CALLING THIS COMPANY TO GET MY ACCOUNT CLOSED. It was awful. I would not recommend anyone open a Capital One cardit card. WHAT A HASSLE (their "no hassle" solgan is JOKE).
Wilmington, Delaware

Capital One Credit Card interest rate increase

After several years as a good customer who pays promptly on account, our "fixed" rate suddenly shot up from 7.9% to 12.9%. According to customer service they could not do anything about it. Yet I see advertisements for low rates to lure customers. Customers with excellent credit ratings, are not given any consideration. We took out a home equity loan and paid off and closed the account. My question/complaint is how can a credit card company raise it's rates to astronomical amounts? They also choose to ignore repeated requests to stop soliciting on a weekly basis for loans.
Bridgeport, Connecticut

Capital One Auto sold my account to Onyx

I am sooo pissed. Capital One Auto Finance sold my car loan to Onyx. SO what's the scheme? Capital One supposedly per their customer service bought Onyx Acceptance Auto years ago. I wonder if it is really the other way around. Use one company because the name is known and then switch it over to the real companies' name. I called Capital One and no one could give me an explanation. I have heard horror syories about Onyx why would I want them to finance my loan. I can't go through Capital One to refinance for a lower payment, but they can just sell my account to one of their own companies. Not fair!

Onyx sold their company to capital one awhile ago so everything must of got transferred, I had a great experience with onyx, but not so much cap one... Don't rag on onyx for selling their company blame the people who own you now :P

Capital One lost my payment. I can confirm someone cashed the money order.

It was made out to capital one bank yet they have no record. How much money do you suppose they make each year by getting an extra payment from just a fraction of the cardholders?

Millions? Now they are raising the interest rate and putting late fees on.

I financed a car with Onyx in 2001 and paid the loan off in full in 2006 and received the title. I checked my credit report and its showing Onyx reports they transferred the loan to Capital One.

Capital One appears on my credit report TWICE reporting it as a charge off. I called Capital One "awful" reps I spoke with say they have no record of record of the loan?? Onyx has no number, these two have destroyed my credit!

I disputed it and the credit bureau 30 days later say its verified, wtf? I sent a letter to dispute dept of Capital One and no response..Im PISSED!!!

I am attempting to google Onyx to find the phone number to get ahold of them and I CAN'T. How freakin' hard is it to find there phone number? I mean, a phone number that actually works and gets me through to a live person?

Capital One is horrible. My previous loan company Onyx sold my loan to Capital One Auto Finance and everything changed.

My other company allowed me a 10 day grace period but when I signed the loan but with Capital One Auto I was told they don't have a grace period because they don't charge late fees and instead the amound acrues interest or some bull... it was while back so I'm not exact on wording sorry. Now I notice that even though my loan is due on the 28th and Im sending it between the 1st and the 5th of the month that they are now charging me $30 late fees and $15 administrative fees. Sometimes even when I send it out on time I am still seeing these fees.

Capital One Auto Finance is a total rip off. I'm paying off my car in total at mid December... because I am so close to my last payment (June) and just want to stop dealing with them...

Never again. They are ***.

I was never told by Capital One my loan was sold to Onyx and I can't find a way to pay online either. Contacting them is a nightmare.

I was on hold for 10 minutes and then they said they couldn't take my call, to call later. Idiots.

you all pick my car up for passed due amount i payed the amount that you all wanted me to pay the car was not the same when i picked it up i reported to and nothing has been done about it i called and called but no one seem as if they want to do anything about it i guess you all want me to pay for a car that they took everthing off of it that they wanted and i never did get the things that was in my car back ever time i call the people that pick the car up i dont get and answer are they just dont call back

Onyx is actually a great company. I financed through them a long time ago before CapitalOne bought them up.

I was pissed when I got sold to CapitalOne because I had never had any problems with Onyx but during the transistion to CapitalOne, my automatic payment got lost and a month later I got a call from CapitalOne saying I owed two payments!! I had no choice but to make both payments but after looking in Onyx's system the auto pay was clearly still set up so it was CapitalOne that screwed up. It took two months and several faxes later to get the late fees refunded.

After that I swore I was paying off all I owed to CapitalOne and never using their services again. Really, I would be happy about moving to Onyx.

Funny thing is, they sold me back to Onyx, but I had already paid off my loan a week before. Go figure.

#20034

My loan started w/ Onyx & ended up w/ Capital one & now back to Onyx.I have'nt had any problems w/ capital one that I did'nt create, I'm still paying one loan though.

:) Cut out the middle man and get your financing with the bank first.

View more comments (12)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Loss

Capital One won't let you close a paid acct.

I had a Latino roomate with limited English. She accepted one of the Credit card offers Capitol One makes to all recent immigrants to the U.S. They kept raising her interest, and adding charges, no matter how quickly she made her payments. I lent her money to pay off the Credit card, and translated for her when telling the Capitol One people whe wanted to close her account, even though they have Spanish speaking staff handling their calls from Latino customers. We had to make several calls, to many different departments before they would allow her to close her paid off account! What was the reason they gave as to why she shouldn't close the account? "We gave you credit when you first came to this country, you owe us for that". Interpreter/Translator

Ur an ***

Of course they want you to keep the account open, they want you to use it. When you payoff the account that is great, but leave the account open.

Why? Because your credit score also takes into account available credit. If you opened another account they would take into consideration the fact that you had access to what ever the credit line you had with Capitol One. In case you fell behind the theory is you have access to another account to transfer the balance.

Keep in mind that having access to credit, or an additional amount of credit is a factor taken into consideration when applying for other credit cards. To have access to additional credit increases your credit score, payoff an account yes, but never close it, always leave it open.

Education sources www.answersfordebt.com E book, and www.nfcc.com National Fondation of non profit credit counseling services. Knowledge is power.

San Jose, California

CAPITOL ONE

CAPITOL ONE is advertising Consumer Loans of up to $30,000 at 6.99% to 10.99%. A friend of mine with excellent credit applied for a loan and was sent a check with an interest rate of 10.99%. I told him I had excellent credit. He asked me to apply for a loan and I did. Sure enough, mine was for 10.99%. I voided the check and returned it. These consumer loans are a scam. You will NOT get the 6.99%, 8.99% or 9.99% loan. DON'T apply unless you are desperate and willing to pay 10.99%.
#120345

The worst credit card company in the world.

#120343

They have been charging me 24% interest on a cash advance for 2 years, which was suppose to be a credit advance. I have paid this card off many times and continue to use it, however they still have never applied any of the money i sent to them against the cash amount.

I finally paid the intire amount off last month and still when I got my statement this month they still want to charge me 24% on the cash amount, which was paid off. this company is the worst I have ever dealt with, when I called a billing manager names (anna) she was awful, she should be fired. I sent in my final charge w/0 interest and cancelled this awful ccd. I have had this card for 10years, and this is the way they treat a valued customer.

I hope they go bankrupt. I will never deal with capitol one again, and have adivsed my friends to cancel their cards also.

Ms. Rizzi

#120340

Ms. Rizzi

This company gave me a credit card 12 years ago and set a limit $325. They have never raised the limit and refused my request about 10 years ago to do so.

I missed a payment of $15.00(yes,you read it right, fifteen dollars) and after 3 days, they sent the account to a collection agency who called me (they are called Allied Interstate). They demanded that I pay $102.xx because the account was over its limit due to a $39.00 late fee assessed on a minimum payment of $15.00. Back in August 2009, they added annual membership which caused the account to go over its limit as well as a $19.00 over the limit fee.

I have not used the card in over a year. Unless you want to get ripped off, do not do business with this company

Tampa, Florida

CAPITAL ONE DECEPTIVE CREDIT CARD PRACTICES

On January 8, 2008 I got a new credit card from Capital One, taking advantage of advertised offer of 5.99% for life. I promptly transferred $7,500.00 worth of other debt to this card. I set up payment via the web. I paid $250.00 on January 22nd, in advance of the first billing, which I HAVE NEVER received). I have attempted to make a second payment (still having received no statements) but the account is locked on line and I am unable to make a payment. After reading literally hundreds of complaints against this credit card and bank, I now realize they are VIPERS and certainly up to no good. If I had adequate funds I would promptly pay off this card and take out ads stating my opinion of their obviously underhanded activity. I would LOVE to join any class action suit against Capital One and their credit card practices. I suspect they are going to be giving me a lot of grief over the next few months. I would also love to sue individually, but at this time I don’t think I can afford such a lawsuit. T Stephens / Grapevine, TX

We took advantage of special NO INTEREST for 1 full year offer where Captial One only charged us a 1% fee to pay off another credit card. We paid full amount of new charges because we didn't want to pay interest but were charged interest anyway.

We called Capital One and they informed us that they charged a special daily interest rate for purchases since we had the zero interest amount on our balance due.

We were deceived into thinking it was no interest but they did indeed charge interest so BEWARE OF ALL CAPITAL ONE SPECIAL OFFERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THEM.

They just canceled our card which we have had for years, for NON-USE!!!!!! Huh???????

we have another card with them, and I am ready to pay it off, and rip up the card.

I won't cancel.....let them keep spending to send me their junk mail, and cancel it too for NON-USE! Maybe one day they will realize the good customers will be gone.

Dallas, Texas

Bad people work at Cap. 1 cost them $$$

You people are so bad; I thought I had it bad before with North Fork Bank, you’re so bad I had my personal CC accounts and my companies’ accounts with Capital One in amounts of about $187,000 transferred too, two separate bank cards, both with higher interest rates one is about 1.75% higher the other closer to 2% higher, and you know its sad because right now, I’m OK with that. It’s much easier then dealing with the customer service personal you have working for you, for whom I had dealt with recently, and god willing, I will never have to speak to again. I also dropped and transferred all my auto loans to another bank. (I know that’s just nickels and dimes to you.), but to me at this very moment it’s about principal. And all this because of one person that represented your company and was so ignorant and rude telling me that "YES YOU HAVE BEEN MAKING TWO PAYMENTS EVERY OTHER MONTH BUT YOU STOPPED PAYMENT SIX MONTHS AGO ON ONE OF YOUR CHECKS,AND YOU HAVE BEEN BEHIND ONE PAYMENT TO DATE BECAUSE OF YOU STOPPING THAT PAYMENT, AND THAT YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR PAYMENTS ON TIME” !!!! “ I MAKE MY PAYMENTS ON TIME” SHE SAID Just before hanging up on her, I know you say that all calls are recorded “for quality performance”…………Well I too have about half of that call on tape, an employee of mine said I could start my own show about your co. on U-tube, then like the commercial says “What’s in your wallet?” I can happily say” NOT CAPITAL ONE!!!!!!!!! “ I know this means nothing, ( to the person who may read my e-mail), and has no effect at all to a company such as Capitol One. Being a small business owner myself one reprehensive like her who treats people and degrades them (if I still had them working for me,) would stop my phone from ever ring and they would simply call someone who talked to them like a real person, so be happy your a large company, and my little $150,000 to $225,000 will not be lost too you. Oh ya… one more thing if you ever read this far into my letter, I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE STOPPED PAYMENT ON A CHECK, AND BESIDES I HAVE BANK Statement BACKING UP EVERY PAYMENT FROM 7/22/05 to NOW. That’s why she refused to send me out a payment history, I requested. And as far as the woman on the, I will never tell you what her name was, with her people skills, she more then likely stands out from most, I Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M RIGHT YOU ARE NOT!!!! Thank You (for all the BS)

Oh honey don't be embarrassed, I'm sure it happens all the time at Wal-Mart.

We hadn't used our Capito One Card in several months. Today my husband tried to charge a set of tires at Walmart.

It was declined.

The excuse when we get home and called about it, was that it was an unusual purchase for us, according to our spending patten. Pardon me. Our spending pattern is to use the card when we need too.

Sorry doesn't help when you've been embarressed at the store and not been allowed to make the purchase.

Nor does it help when we can no longer speak to a fellow countryman, instead each person I spoke to sounded as if they were from India. Strongly feeling that we should just pay Capitol One off and not use it any more.

Trenton, New Jersey

Capital one raised my intrest rate for no reason what so ever

I have had a capital one credit card for 4 years.No late payments or missed payments what so ever!!!But lo and behold they jumped my intrest rate sky high!!!I guess they need to recap their losses for the people that dont pay from good paying people!!!!I wont use their card any more!!!And hopfully it will get paid off soon.Dont belive them when they say unlike other companys we dont raise your intrest rate for one latepayment as I HAD NO late PAYMENTS AND NOW A LARGE INTREST RATE!They are not good to deal with.

YOU SHOULD DO SOME RESEARCH ON WHAT CREDIT CARD COMPANIES ARE ALLOWED TO DO. THEY CAN LEGALLY RAISE YOUR INTEREST RATE IF YOU ARE LATE WITH ANY OF YOUR BILLS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY LATE PAYMENT ISSUES WITH MORTGAGE, CAR LOANS ETC, THEY CAN USE THIS TO JACK UP YOUR RATES. ALSO, AUTO INSURANCE RATES ARE NOW PARTIALLY BASED ON YOUR CREDIT RATING. EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN EXCELLENT DRIVING RECORD AND HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE WITH YOUR PAYMENT, YOU COULD PAY A HIGHER PREMIUM IF YOUR SCORE IS NOT GREAT. CONSUMERS JUST DON'T HAVE RIGHTS ANYMORE!!!

CAPITOL ONE JUST DID THE SAME THING TO ME.

WHEN THEY CHANGED THEIR WEBSTIE LAYOUT, THEY MAY IT HARDER TO FIND THE INTEREST RATE YOU'RE BEING CHARGED. WHEN I FINALLY TOOK THE TIME TO LOCATE IT, I FOUND THEY JACKED MINE FROM 14% TO 20%--- FOR NO REASON. I'M NEVER LATE WITH PAYMENTS, NEVER OVER MY LIMIT. NEVER EVEN LATE WITH ANY OF MY OTHER CREDITORS.

WHEN I CALLED THEM TO FIND OUT WHY, THEIR COMPUTERS WERE 'DOWN' AND THEY COULDN'T HELP ME.

I'VE DECIDE TO FIND A CARD WITH A LOWER RATE, TRANSFER MY BALANCE. I'M NOT GOING TO EVEN GIVE THEM THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRY TO TALK ME OUT OF IT.

ID
#112048 Review #112048 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Reston, Virginia
Capital One Credit Card

Charged off bought loan - turned to collection

I had a car financed through Onyx for over 3 years with paying almost 10,000 on a 13,000 loan. I fell behind by 2 car payments due to difficult times. I did a voluntary car turn back with Onyx. Onyx said said I would not be "upside down" when I did this but did not put it in writing as the company is out of town from me. Due to having a high interest rate, I ended up owing still around 6000 on the car. After I turned the car over, I did not hear anything back from Onyx. About 6 months after that, I received a call from Capital One stating they either merged with the company or bought the company therefore they had the contract for my car loan. Long story short, I made payment arrangements with Capital One in the amount of 100.00 a month on a "settlement amount" via electronic payments. I was making these payments for over a year without fail. 2 months ago, I received a threatening call from them stating that if I don't start paying 350.00 a month, they will sue me. It's been an extreme hardship on me and they won't keep my payment arrangements straight when I tell them I can make the payments. I pay the 2nd payday of every month but they get this messed up sometimes because I'm paid every two weeks and the days change. This week I called to let them know the date of my 2nd payday and the person I spoke with said no problem and we decided on a date of the 25th. Shortly after that I received another call from a different person stating their "check" went out to my bank already and if I have ISF, it will negate the settlement and I will lose the money toward it. They stopped the original payments and demand more by threats. They identify that they are from the pre-legal department for Capital One.

I work at Cap 1 what u people r sayin is *** that's not how we get down u just want someone 2 feel bad 4 u u made the purchase u should have read the contract it is what it is and at the end of the dqy its business as usual

#206345

I have had Capital One Card before everything was great having it at first with a Credit limit of $500. I was making my payments on time until I lost my job, so I couldn't pay for it no then and I had already informed them of this matter.

I received a letter saying they are taking me to court and the bill was $1800 including court cost and attorney fees ( but interest still was $1300). I went to court they said I can pay $70 a month and I called the Lawyer company to make the payment they said I need to pay $150 a month no less I told them I couldn't pay that much he told me well we're gonna garnish you(ridiculous)and didn't want to offer me a settlement so now I'm paying $150 a month the lawyer company wont even send me a statement of what is my remaining balance Im thinking Im almost done with the bill but now they're saying I owe $700 left because of interest is being added on to that. They are the devil When I had Capital One card my credit score was 650 now it is 485. They are a mess with themselves, I will not use them ever again and won't recommend nobody else to do so.

Also my mom has her car finance through them , she is set up on a automated draft on a certain date, they will take it out of her account before that date that they suppose to, which it make her bank give her overdraft fees each time because there is no money in there then and this been going on for about 6 months.

She have repeatedly told them take her off the automated draft payments they still havent did it. They are horrible.

I can relate to your concern about Capital One my advice to you is make sure you keep up with all dates and payments with them,because they have people working for them that are neglectful of their customers needs.They tell u one thing and it never gets done in the way they explain it,so make sure your records are right.

and let them know you did not AUTHORIZE that "check" they are trying scare tactics that are ILLEGAL!!! they cannot process a check without your permission.

If you already made an agreement date then that is the date YOU need to make sure it gets there they are NOT allowed to submit it ahead of time. (you should NEVER give a post dated check just for this purpose)

ID
#111990 Review #111990 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Las Vegas, Nevada

Lied

after hurricane rita i returned home and i called capital one to make a payment and spoke with a nice lady named pam.she offered to defer my payment until i was back to work .we did not have mail service for several weeks and when i finally did receive my statement they had not deferred any payments.i called them again and explained the circumstances and the "lady" had the nerve to tell me that she had seen the news and the cat. 4 hurricane just did not seem that bad to her.i was not wanting a handout just the help they offered.i asked her to remove the charges and she refused.i asked to speak to her supervisor and i heard her tell him that i was calling to get out of paying my bill and using the hurricane as an excuse.he did not help me either.the next time i was able to get a call through i was really late .it just came down to the principle of the thing.now in collections with nco.
ID
#111947 Review #111947 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Beaumont, Texas

Capital One Customer (lack of)Service

Today my wife called to close her Capital One credit card account that she has had in good standing for four years. We have plenty of credit available to us so we have decided to pick and choose which cards we keep. Due to the high interest rate (28%) this particular account was selected for closure. It sounds simple enough; call the customer service number provided, request that the account be closed, and so long as everything is current and in good standing that should be the end of it. Not so, the following is a transcript written by my wife immediately following the phone call and emailed to me: The lady was doing her best to not let me cancel the account. Our conversation went something like this: Me: "I'd like to close my account." Her: "Can I ask why?" Me: "I'm paying everything off and closing accounts." Her: "I see. But you should at least keep this Capital One account open." Me: "No thank you. I'd like to close the account." Her: "Do you have another card?" Me: "I'd like to close this account please." Her: "Well, Capital One offers several customer loyalty programs. It looks like you last paid your membership fee in October. That means you have until October 2008 with no account fees." Me: "That's nice. I'd still like to close the account." Her: "Oh. Well, does your other card have the same rate as this card?" Me: "The other card does not have a 29% interest rate." Her (correcting me): "Your rate is 28%, not 29%." Me: "That's still too high. I'd like to close the account." Her: "Because we value your customer loyalty, we're able to drop your rate to 17%." Me: "Still too high. I'd like to close the account." Her: "You've had this account for four years. I'd hate to see you close it." Me: "I still would like to close the account." Her: "Your credit score is based partly on the duration of your accounts, and by closing an account you've had open for four years may hurt your credit score." Me: "I still want to close this account." Her: "You should check with your credit bureau before closing this account to see how it will affect your credit score." Me: "I still want to close the account." Her: "Let's do this. Capital One will waive your account fees in October. You'll have until October 2009 with no account fees." Me: "Listen. I don't want to keep this account open. Getting a lower rate, having membership fees waived, I don't care. I want to close this account. Close my account." Her: "Well...." Me (cutting her off): "Close my account." By this time, I was sick of her sales pitch. Every time she went to say anything, I cut her off with, "Close my account." Finally she said: Her: "Once this account is closed, you will never be able to open it again." Me: "That's fine. That's the purpose of *closing the account*." Her: Okay. I will close your account. But first I need to read you the Capital One Closing Account Disclosure." And so she reads me this 60 second spiel about how I'm still responsible for any of the fees that occur after the account is closed (like if there's a balance, or if you use the card after you close it, or if you close it right before a membership fee is due, the membership fee "may still be applied to your account" and you're held liable for paying it). So twenty minutes, multiple hold periods, two "account reps" and one disgruntled (wife) later, I finally got the *** thing closed. So, once again, I don't want their $50 coupon to open a new Cap One account. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Now this may not be 100% verbatim, but my wife is very able to recall a phone conversation she JUST had, especially one this frustrating. Just yesterday I received an offer from Capital One to open a new account and receive a $50 credit after making a purchase. I WAS giving it serious consideration because of the $50 and a reasonable interest rate. Now there is ZERO chance that I will respond to this offer, so that I might avoid a similar phone call in the future. This isn’t the first time we have had difficulty with Capital One, but it is most definitely the last straw. This email will be published through whatever means I can find so that others who have had the same problem will know that they are not alone, and others who have not yet had this problem can avoid it. There are a lot of places people can hold a line of credit, Capital One is not at all recommended by me (your average consumer) for anyone.

This is to carmen if she looks, they probably reissued you a card and you need to activate it to get your credit access back. It's normal if your current card expired or the asian(??) on the phone missunderstood and sent you a new "plastic"(card) because they thought yours was in bad condition.

They sure do has a lack of customer service. My husband and myself hold for 40 mins.

on the phone when the customer service transfered us to the credit dept. We requested a credit line increase, instead, we rec'd another credit card last week that we did not asked for. The card is still in its envelope without been activated, so, because of that reason, they restricted the credit balance on our account because of the other credit card. We never pay the minimum due, we pay the whole account before the grace period ended to avoid interests.

So now, we have to call tomorrow and there was no supervisor to answer the phone for us.

It is the worst mistake we had ever made, getting a capital one card.

Who ever read this message, think twice before doing business with capital one.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Never Ever Use Capital One

They are most crooked and deceptive credit card company of them all. Most other companies will work with you and adjust fees and other items for good cause. Capital One will do nothing. They are out only for money and greed. They will try and hook you with big promises and then the other shoe drops. I would not give my worst enemy a Capital One anything. Everyone should report their bad experiences to the Better Business Bureau. At least Capital One will have to spend money dealing with the reports. Tell everyone you know..never, eve, ever use Capital One for anything!!!!!!

I want this fraudulent company to get what it deserves. I paid my debt in full, but the debt emerged again on my credit report.

I tried to find out information from them, but the dumb billing rep "couldn't find my account" and hung up on me several times. Yeah, they shouldn't be able to find it because it was PAID.

They tried to use scare tactics to get me to pay charges I don't owe. I want to take them to court!!!!

I, too, am having a problem with Capital One. Can we file a class action lawsuit against Capital One?

I have two capital one credit cards. For two months in a row, I sent a check in on both accounts at least 10 to 12 days before my due date. For both months on both accounts, they held the check and posted them to my account the very day after my due date. They also added a notice to my next statement that if I paid late again, my interest rate would be raised. I worked hard, got a little money ahead and started paying in advance so they couldn't raise my rate. I made a payment on April 1 for the payment that was due April 29 and they posted it (April 3rd) to the March billing cycle. Now they are saying I have to make another payment for April, even though I already made the payment. They said, "well you should have waited one more day to send in your payment so it would be posted to the right billing cycle." Last month, I dated the check on the 6th and it took them to the 12th to post it. This time, I dated the check the 1st and they posted it two days later. Previously, it took them 12 days to post it. So how am I supposed to guess which date to pay it so I am not penalized by having it posted to the previous month or getting a late fee for paying late? This is ridiculous! That pretty much means out of a 30 or 31 day month, I have about a ten day period to safely send in the payment without being penalized.

Something has to be done. The government has given the credit card companies too much free reign and now there is nothing the consumer can do to stop them and get justice.

To add insult to injury, even though I am paid ahead on the account, my account now shows a delinquent status and the woman (who, by the way, is in Asia answering the phone) kept asking me when I was going to rectify my delinquent status and did I need to be transferred to the Hardship Department. I am paid ahead and I am being treated like I am a deadbeat!!

If you want to start a class action lawsuit against Capital One, count me in.

Raleigh, North Carolina