Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

CAPITAL ONE WANTS TO KNOW WHATS IN YOUR WALLET

I WAS PAYING A FEW OF MY BILLS ONLINE. SOME AUTOMATICALLY AND SOME MANUALLY.THERE WAS AN ISSUE WITH MY AUTOMATIC PAYMENT TO MY CAR INSURANCE , WHEN THE PAYMENT RAN MY ACCOUNT HAD A NEGATIVE .I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO THE BANK AND MADE THE NECESSARY DEPOSIT TO COVER THE NEGATIVE CHARGE.WHEN I DID SO I NOTICED THAT ANOTHER CHARGE WAS MADE, SO ONCE AGAIN AT THAT TIME I DEPOSITED CASH TO COVER THAT CHARGE. I SPOKE TO A SUPERVISER ABOUT THE CHARGES AND SHE INSISTED THAT I WAS GOING TO BE CHARGED THE INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF 35.00 BECAUSE I DID THE TRANSACTION IN THEIR ATM AND THEY HAD NO WAY OF VERIFYING WHAT WAS DEPOSITED,MEAN WHILE THEIR RECEIPT SAYS THAT IT WAS THEY ARE SCAMMERS THAT IS WHY THEY WANT TO KNOW WHATS IN YOUR WALLET SO THEY CAN TAKE IT !!!!!

First of all, why the ALL CAPS???!!!

Second of all, why do you make payments AT AN ATM? When you could just go into the bank and make a payment, with a record of the payment from the teller? Do people even think anymore?

Capital One in Tampa, Florida - Double Booked my credit card for same flight

I booked a flight on cheapo air and when i was finished entering all my info, including credit card info, i was blown off the site. I went back to cheapo air and called the customer service number listed on the site. I asked if my credit card had been charged. the agent had me wait on hold for 15 minutes and came back and informed me that my credit card had not been charged. The agent then said she could book the flight for me. I gave her all the info on flights, times and dates and she re-booked the flights. On the 28th of June I received my credit statement and I was charged twice for the flight. After talking to my credit card company, US Airways and Onetravel .com I was told to fax a copy of my credit card bill to onetravel.com for review. I have not heard back from them and i am out $375.90.

Your credit card company just processes what the merchant sends them, Capital One did not make the charge twice - you did and got bad info from the travel agent. Why is it your credit card companies fault that YOU booked two tickets - even if you got bad information they did not give it to you.

And just how the *** is this capital ones fault? They aren't minds readers.

There are people who make multiple purchases to the same company ... for the same amount...

on the same day. Blame the merchant and get your self a better pc and Internet connection.

CAPITAL ONE IS THE WORSE

Capital One must be the worse bank I have ever received a credit card from. They lie about everything, their customer service is disgustingly horrible and I would not recommend anyone to ever associate with them in anyway. I called in about my acct for an upgrade from a secured credit card to a regular one. The rep advised me to apply online right away that i am guaranteed approval. I apply and immedietly get DENIED. When I called back to speak to a manager he was no help at all. He barely even spoke english! At that point he just kept on repeating hiself over and pver again advising that there is nothing he could do. So why is there even a customer service line if they are unable to help anyone?
Review
In April of 2008 I was in a car accident that totaled my vehicle. I HAD to get another car in order to be able to work. Due to having lost a job just 2 years prior which caused me to loose my house and get behind on EVERYTHING, my credit was bad!! I already KNEW I...

First of all, if only one company was willing to finance your loan with a 20% interest rate, you probably should've gotten a either a bus pass or a cash car until you could rebuild your credit. You still had the opportunity to walk away if you didn't like the terms of the contract.

Second, the terms change completely once you file bankruptcy. If you never reaffirmed the car loan debt after the original contract was effectively rendered null and void due to you filing Chapter 7, then the finance company is under no obligation to make any concessions for you. They've already been tied up from doing any kind of collection activity on the account. Bankruptcy laws prevent them from even sending you monthly statements.

Finally, your bankruptcy discharge means nothing to your creditors. If you failed to reaffirm the debt, then your car loan was, in fact, included in the bankruptcy. So keep your payments up to date and out of impound until pay off the loan because the company still holds lienholder rights on the vehicle.

View more comments
Review
My issues with customer service started shortly after I submitted the application with the request of 3 other cards for our employees. I immediately noticed that although I had given all the Owners personal info, it did not list him as having a card to be issued. I...
nikalseyn

Capital One has the most complaints of all the major credit card issuers. Best to stay away from it.

They advertize alot, but all that does is deceive viewers into believing it is a good card to have.

It is not. Get a card from your bank or credit union instead.

Capital One in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Non-stop phone calls

I am in the middle of a $1000 dispute with Capital One and these calls started coming before I was even able to resolve it. I was $2 short on my payment and they attached tens of dollars in late fees, would not talk to me about it and demanded I pay in full which I cannot do being currently unemployed which they did not want to hear. I had been with them for a long time and they increased my minimum payment. I pay my bills on bill pay so I did not realize I was short. This was somewhere around December. This Allied company began harrassing me a few days ago. I want to stop these calls.

They pulled that kind of stunt with me too, then sent my bill to collections, with a threat of a lawsuit. I had asked to work with them, but the girl on the phone was not cooperative.

She was only caring about money, not about helping me set up a decent payment plan. I don't trust this company very much, and I regret having used them for a credit card.

Very disrespectful. I had to arrange payments through a debt collector/law firm or risk going to court for a bill I told them I was willing to work with them on.

Capital One & I

... I go back with the *** since 1992 when the punk outfit was called Signet Bank... Took me over 5 yrs to get rid of those rotten parasites... I was 'late' on payments even though I mailed them 10 days before, Yea!... And and it would take them 4 MONTHS to credit my account.... NO KIDDIN!!! I applied for 2 more of their funky cards, and with the 3 ran up a $12,000 bill..-:) I live in So. Calif and we can 'opt out' if we don't want bill collectors' calls. But man these creeps must own their own forest, for the amount of letters I got... Anyway when the 'timing' was right, 5yrs later (1.5 yrs ago) I paid them $1,100 and forced them to delete all the accounts off the 3 bureaus.. (PS: paid as agreed is No Good--- beware) The only major ding in my credit reports vanished into thin air... HA HA HA...

Takes them 2-3 weeks to post a payment, even after the money has cleared the bank.

Really something to be proud of you ***!!!!

No joke. I opened an account with these bastards when I was barely 18 years old because I needed money for college.

I paid payments for 2 years then fell on hard times and closed the account with about $1,000 balance. I moved a few times and forgot all about them. They never took me to court. Earlier this year (10 YEARS LATER) some collection agency calls me up, "Uhhh yeahhh Mizz Mar-Martian?" (It was Mar-shand).

"Uhhh yeahh...we wit uhhh collection agency attempting to collect a debt for Capital One." I rack my brain and remember the account...I ask if the account had ever went to court (it hadn't), so I ask why they are even trying to collect when they can't legally take me to court? The operator gets all flustered and ends up yelling at me to pay my debt, I laughed and told her they should have sued me when they could and to stop calling me.

View more comments (2)

Capital One in Phoenix, Arizona - Capitol one million dollar rip off

When I pay early, and over my payment, they take out more interest than regular amount. Due to this, my balance is not going down any faster. Problem being, capitol ***** states that when you pay extra , your balance goes down more, thus you pay less interest. Really!!?? I have called numerous times, sent e- messages from my online account, I get replies that tell me how payments are applied. every inquiry I direct at capitol rip off, never answers my question. I call again, and ask very clearly, " how is it that when I pay early, and 45-50 dollars over payment, you take out more interest than usual? this is saving me money how? Can I send in an extra check earmarked 'principle only'? The answer I get, you interest is higher, if you pay later in the month. what B.S, is this?? they give you the run around, and dodge our questions. And they will not say whether I can send principle payments in without being nailed for more interest. Another problem, they WILL NOT DISCLOSE WHAT OUR INTEREST RATE IS. I thought that was against the law. WT@#$%*!!!
Review

Capital One has terrible customer service.

First, I have "opted out of overdraft protection" on my checking account, which should mean that if I don't have enough money in my checking account, the transaction is rejected (which is what I want) Second, I still get whacked with overdraft fees a couple times a year, even though I've "opted out" at least 4-5 times in the past 5 years. Third, They flat-out refuse to reverse the bogus fees because of fictional "technicalities". (Once they told me that the "opt out" doesn't apply to weekends.... another time, they said it doesn't apply to credit transactions, only debit) Seriously, guys? Fourth, I have a savings account with them that has never gone below $3000. They refuse to link the savings account to the checking account and simply take the "overdraft" from my savings account. They are a terrible bank to deal with.

Consumer bureau dishes first penalties, hits Capital One for ‘deceptive’ practices

By Peter Schroeder - 07/18/12 10:28 AM ET

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is ordering Capital One to pay $165 million for engaging in "deceptive marketing practices" as it marketed credit cards.

The joint enforcement action by the bureau, in conjunction with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), marks the first time the new bureau has flexed its enforcement muscle since opening its doors roughly a year ago.

“Today’s action puts $140 million back in the pockets of 2 million Capital One customers who were pressured or misled into buying credit card products they didn’t understand, didn’t want or, in some cases, couldn’t even use,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray. “We are putting companies on notice that these deceptive practices are against the law and will not be tolerated.”

Under the penalty, Capital One will pay a $25 million fine, as well as another $140 million to 2 million customers who signed up for credit cards while the lender was engaged in marketing services to customers without fully explaining the terms. The OCC also is demanding that an additional $10 million from Capital One be paid out to consumers harmed by unfair billing practices. The OCC is also assessing an additional $35 million penalty.

The move, which comes just days before the one-year anniversary of the CFPB opening its doors, marks a significant new step for the creation of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law. Previously, the bureau had drafted rules, initiated investigations and collected data on consumer financial products, but Wednesday's move marks the first time the bureau has actually levied penalties for practices it deems harmful to consumers.

In particular, the CFPB is punishing Capital One for marketing add-on products to credit cards, such as payment protection and credit monitoring. The bureau said the company's call centers marketed the products to consumers with low credit scores or limits using "high-pressure tactics."

Company representatives misled consumers about the benefits of the products, did not always depict them as optional or marketed them to customers who were unable to utilize the benefits. Some call-center vendors even enrolled consumers in add-on products without their consent, or led them to believe the products did not carry added costs.

In a statement, Capital One said third-party vendors did not always follow company scripts when marketing cards, and the bank failed to adequately monitor them.

"We are accountable for the actions that vendors take on our behalf," said Ryan Schneider, president of the bank's card lending business. "These marketing calls were inconsistent with the explicit instructions we provided to agents for how these products should be sold. We apologize to those customers who were impacted and we are committed to making it right."

Capital One has agreed to end its marketing practices as part of the penalty, and will submit to an independent audit to ensure its policies are changed as demanded.

May 1, 2012 I send a check to my God-Father in Tamarac Fl. He never recieved the check.

Someone cashed the check and signed his name. At the end of the month I brought the check into the bank for fraud investigation. I obtain a police report, a Notarize affidavit as requested Bank. Since May I've been making 2-3 trips a month to check on status and no one could give me an answer except "We will call you.

No one ever called with follw-up. Finally Oct 2012 I was informed that the affidavit was rejected because a page was missing. This page contain a false statement that I had no police report, which is the first document I gave to them. The affidavit was rejected, no one contacted me.

I went to the Bank to check the status and was told "I don't know". Two days later the Bank Rep. call to inform me that the affidavit was rejected. Still I was not notified.

Poor, Poor, service. Now I have to start all over again with the fraud claim that was reported 6 months ago.

I'm very dissappointed with Capital one. Over fifteen years of banking with them, and this is the type of service I get.

Loss

Capital One in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Calls harrassing me daily for an auto loan for a family member not living in my house.

Daily calls to my telephone for family members. When told they are NOT here they hang up. They also block their number and it shows as private number on the caller ID. I ask them to not call. The calls continue seven days a week from 8am until 9 pm. The calls seem to come from India and the person calling hangs up when asked for their name. First of all, if they want a call back, they should NOT block their telephone number. Second, they should stop harrassing someone that clearly tells them the person they are asking for is NOT HERE!

Report them to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

www.fcc.gov

If you haven't, go to the donotcall registry and put your number on the no call list. After it's in the system, they are no longer allowed to call, and if they do, then go back to the registry site and fill out a complaint with as much information as you can.

Everyone gets those irritating calls, but the worse thing you can do is to return their call. That tells them you exist.

Didn't mean to preach.

Review
#320777 Review #320777 is a subjective opinion of poster.