Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Capital One has terrible customer service.

First, I have "opted out of overdraft protection" on my checking account, which should mean that if I don't have enough money in my checking account, the transaction is rejected (which is what I want) Second, I still get whacked with overdraft fees a couple times a year, even though I've "opted out" at least 4-5 times in the past 5 years. Third, They flat-out refuse to reverse the bogus fees because of fictional "technicalities". (Once they told me that the "opt out" doesn't apply to weekends.... another time, they said it doesn't apply to credit transactions, only debit) Seriously, guys? Fourth, I have a savings account with them that has never gone below $3000. They refuse to link the savings account to the checking account and simply take the "overdraft" from my savings account. They are a terrible bank to deal with.

Consumer bureau dishes first penalties, hits Capital One for ‘deceptive’ practices

By Peter Schroeder - 07/18/12 10:28 AM ET

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is ordering Capital One to pay $165 million for engaging in "deceptive marketing practices" as it marketed credit cards.

The joint enforcement action by the bureau, in conjunction with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), marks the first time the new bureau has flexed its enforcement muscle since opening its doors roughly a year ago.

“Today’s action puts $140 million back in the pockets of 2 million Capital One customers who were pressured or misled into buying credit card products they didn’t understand, didn’t want or, in some cases, couldn’t even use,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray. “We are putting companies on notice that these deceptive practices are against the law and will not be tolerated.”

Under the penalty, Capital One will pay a $25 million fine, as well as another $140 million to 2 million customers who signed up for credit cards while the lender was engaged in marketing services to customers without fully explaining the terms. The OCC also is demanding that an additional $10 million from Capital One be paid out to consumers harmed by unfair billing practices. The OCC is also assessing an additional $35 million penalty.

The move, which comes just days before the one-year anniversary of the CFPB opening its doors, marks a significant new step for the creation of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law. Previously, the bureau had drafted rules, initiated investigations and collected data on consumer financial products, but Wednesday's move marks the first time the bureau has actually levied penalties for practices it deems harmful to consumers.

In particular, the CFPB is punishing Capital One for marketing add-on products to credit cards, such as payment protection and credit monitoring. The bureau said the company's call centers marketed the products to consumers with low credit scores or limits using "high-pressure tactics."

Company representatives misled consumers about the benefits of the products, did not always depict them as optional or marketed them to customers who were unable to utilize the benefits. Some call-center vendors even enrolled consumers in add-on products without their consent, or led them to believe the products did not carry added costs.

In a statement, Capital One said third-party vendors did not always follow company scripts when marketing cards, and the bank failed to adequately monitor them.

"We are accountable for the actions that vendors take on our behalf," said Ryan Schneider, president of the bank's card lending business. "These marketing calls were inconsistent with the explicit instructions we provided to agents for how these products should be sold. We apologize to those customers who were impacted and we are committed to making it right."

Capital One has agreed to end its marketing practices as part of the penalty, and will submit to an independent audit to ensure its policies are changed as demanded.

May 1, 2012 I send a check to my God-Father in Tamarac Fl. He never recieved the check.

Someone cashed the check and signed his name. At the end of the month I brought the check into the bank for fraud investigation. I obtain a police report, a Notarize affidavit as requested Bank. Since May I've been making 2-3 trips a month to check on status and no one could give me an answer except "We will call you.

No one ever called with follw-up. Finally Oct 2012 I was informed that the affidavit was rejected because a page was missing. This page contain a false statement that I had no police report, which is the first document I gave to them. The affidavit was rejected, no one contacted me.

I went to the Bank to check the status and was told "I don't know". Two days later the Bank Rep. call to inform me that the affidavit was rejected. Still I was not notified.

Poor, Poor, service. Now I have to start all over again with the fraud claim that was reported 6 months ago.

I'm very dissappointed with Capital one. Over fifteen years of banking with them, and this is the type of service I get.

Loss

Capital One in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Calls harrassing me daily for an auto loan for a family member not living in my house.

Daily calls to my telephone for family members. When told they are NOT here they hang up. They also block their number and it shows as private number on the caller ID. I ask them to not call. The calls continue seven days a week from 8am until 9 pm. The calls seem to come from India and the person calling hangs up when asked for their name. First of all, if they want a call back, they should NOT block their telephone number. Second, they should stop harrassing someone that clearly tells them the person they are asking for is NOT HERE!

Report them to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

www.fcc.gov

If you haven't, go to the donotcall registry and put your number on the no call list. After it's in the system, they are no longer allowed to call, and if they do, then go back to the registry site and fill out a complaint with as much information as you can.

Everyone gets those irritating calls, but the worse thing you can do is to return their call. That tells them you exist.

Didn't mean to preach.

Review
#320777 Review #320777 is a subjective opinion of poster.
First off I would like to say to the *** that is talking down about capital one, YOU ARE WRONG! I am giving this review from the standpoint of someone who has had credit card trouble in the past, and honestly, I hate credit cards, but capital one is great! I have had...

I was stranded in a different province and my wallet was stolen but I had my credit card in a different spot and explained and I was told too bad there is nothing they could do to help me get home. Everything was taken id so when I went to the bank they asked for id I had nothing but this I ended up having to beg on street in city's across the country just to get myself and 3 children home. Once home

View more comments

Capital One

Contacted Captial One Customer Service as I was directed to do by their messeage when I signed onto my account. I called Capital One, the clueless representative could not find any reference number and did not know what I was talking about...waited on hold for 5 minutes until i got someone else..Then when I told him it was unacceptable for them to hold the funds for 14 business days before they credited my account, he said it was policy and hung up on me. Truly what poor customer service and very consumer unfriendly service..but they really dont care..they wouyld rather spend millions on commercials rather than bring their customer service back to the united states and train their people to be consumer friendly. Just another reasons why I love American Express.
Review

CAPITAL ONE SCREWWS CUSTOMERS!

Had a credit card for 20 years w/ Capital One, I was late with one payment and they jacked the interest rate to 23.5 %! I pleaded w/ them for months to lower the rate, they said they would after 3 consecutive payments. Thats alot of bull ! this has been goin on now for 12 mo.'s when they know they have you they jack you! This is what's going on in this country. They don't work with the good people who intend on paying there debt. They suck us dry and just forgive those who default on all their debts. A *** backward country it is! PLEASE! DON'T SUPPORT CAPITAL ONE BANK, THEY OUTRIGHT SUCK!!!!!

They are the worst credit. card company ever .

. they will NOT work with their customers in the least. they quadrupled my rate and would not lower it. .

. they caused a lot of financial issues for me. . after paying them up to status.

. .

they restricted my account . :(

They are the worst credit. card company ever .

. .

they restricted my account . :(

Capital one credit card

Capital one telephoned me on the day speedlings charged my credit card over $4,000.00 to verify the charge. I specifically told capital one "no do not charge my credit card because I did not authorize the charge." Capital one replied "no problem we will reverse the charges." Six months later the charge is back on my credit card! How? When I specifically told my supposed to be credit card company not to authorize payment. Now mind you Capital one boasts about protecting against fraudulent charges; so much so that they telephone their customers whenever there is suspicious activity. They called me day of the charge, and turned back around and credited my account 6 months later! Be careful of Capital one credit cards and stay away from speedlings!

CAPITAL ONE FAKE CASH BACK PROGRAM

I was looking for a cash back card, as my debit card no longer offer cash back. I checked CAPITAL ONE website and the card I wanted had 2% cash back on grocery and gas. So I decided to apply. They give me only $500 credit, but is was ok as I was going only to use it for gas and grocery. After few months I log in to redeem the points and I find out that...SORRY NO CASH back and NO rewards of any kinds. I call customer service and they said "APPLY FOR A NEW ONE" Really???!!! Very unprofessional! I will move to discovery and hope it is not going to be an other scam!
Loss
On Wednesday April 18th I received a deposit from the IRS to my Capital One prepaid MasterCard. My Acct. was put on hold for "security purposes" (I never used this card before). Customer services asked for me to fax 3 forms of ID to unlock my Acct.I faxed my...

The only way to get a truly free credit roeprt is though the actual agencies themselves, Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. They will allow you, by law, one free credit roeprt every year, plus you are entitled to a free roeprt if you are turned down for credit based on a roeprt from that agency.FreeCreditReport.com, AnnualCreditReport.com, and similar sites are looking to sign you up for credit monitoring services.

They require a credit card even though the first month is free. They hope you will forget to cancel the service before they charge you for the second month.

Review

Rewards program freud capital one!!!

we were offered double miles from any other cards if we showed a statement from 2011. they gave us the wrong information and charged us the 59 dollar fee and now renaged on the promotion points after several company reps gave us the wrong infromation,, after more than 2 hours on the phone they still will do nothing.... after 8 yrs and a perfect paying record... they have seen the last of us. a billion dollar company is now offering us 2500 bonus miles for our aggrivation.. not even near the 59 dollar yearly fee. I'm sorry... yes people make mistakes... but do something about it... capital one doesn't care

I am with Capital One. Please send me an email at sukhi.sahni@capitalone.com and we will look into this matter.

Thanks.

pldylan

I had the same experience with the CASH BACK Platinum Mastercard.

The program was fake, and they try to make me apply for an other credit card. Can you believe it?

Capital One in Birmingham, Alabama - Please Do Not Send More Than Required

I applied for a Capitol One credit card just this month. On the questions and answers section, it states that you could raise your credit limit by paying more than the required security deposit. I was required to pay $99 for my deposit for a $200 limit. I decided to pay $200 more because they stated they would match dollar for dollar anything above your limit. I decided to call because i had not received my card and asked what my limit was. I was told $400. The 1st customer service rep stated she needed to transfer me to a specialist. At that point i was told they had matched my deposit, so i wanted to know why Capitol One site states "How To Increase Your Credit Limit?.....Deposit More Money And We Match It Dollar For Dollar." OK, my math $200 limit, i deposited a extra $200 which should have been matched = $400 Plus the initial $200 limit = $600 limit. The specialist/rep, put me on hold, came back and stated after you receive your card, then you can deposit more money to increase your limit. She said that was under their "Terms & Conditions". I feel that it's very misleading to say one thing on their site and do another. I guess i will take my card and manage it wisely in order to rebuild my credit. PLEASE, get your card first, before you add more money for a increase. I pray that this complaint will be my one and only.