Bellevue, Washington

I opened an InterestPlus Savings account with Capital One online. They called and said they could not verify me and require me to fax them ID card, SS# and utility statement.

But then I found out they have already took my money which I transferred from my other bank. When I went online to check my balance, they restrict the access and said I haven't provided them verification. OK now, if the bank cannot verify me how come they can transfer my money. I was really pissed so I asked to have my account closed and demanded them to transfer the money back to me.

Again, they told me I have to provide ID card, SS# adn utility statement to verify before I can close my account. I insisted on talking to the supervisor. After waiting for 45 minutes on the line I got someone called Amy from the account verification department. I doubt if she's a supervisor.

She gave me the same talk again about needing the verification document. As a matter of fact she wouldn't even let me talk she interrupted me constantly. I maintained that Capital One has no right to take my money before they can verify me. At the end, she asked me 4 questions to verify myself and the result is, account closed.

SO, why couldn't they ask me those 4 questions in day one to verify myself instead of demanding me to fax them ID card SS# and utility statement.

This bank is a thief. They take your money in lightning speed, then they restrict your account and god knows what they do with your money!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Capital One Account.

Comments

They recently told me they could not "locate" 5figures of my passbook balance. Said my passbook did not match their computers. I am currently still at war with them to find my vanished balance!

this is just happened to and i dont even fill any information for them..i got the mail from capital one ..two days ago and asks me to fill the form but i dont do anything..but i dont know how they got my information but now i just found out that they took my money from my saving account..how can they do that? i have no idea and now whos gonna pay me back my money?..the bank will pay it back to me? what should i do?:((

I already had a savings account with Capital One, but I can't remember my password to get online access. They have locked me out from online access.

I have been trying to call them for three days to get my password reset, but every time I call, I get a recording saying, "Due to high call volume, all of our representatives are currently busy. Please call back at another time." I would rather sit on hold for an hour and eventually speak with SOMEONE. I am closing this account and filing a complaint with the BBB as soon as I get home today.

This is crazy. It's not just my credit card we're talking about here, this is MY MONEY and I can't even get to it.

I had the SAME exact thing happen this past week with Capital One! They requested a copy of my Social Security Card, my driver's license, and a utility bill to verify my identity.

With identity theft running rampant these days, that is crazy to ask for that information over a fax! They should be ashamed of themselves for asking for that information. They might as well ask for my PIN numbers and credit card numbers too! Anyway, when I told them there is no way I am faxing that personal information to them, they said they would close the account.

And I was fine with that. BUT, the following day AFTER the account was closed, they debit my funding bank account for my initial deposit. This was a substantial sum of money too! I called them up and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

They said the transfer was already in process before the account was closed. My question is WHY would they process a transfer before the verification was done? They said it could take 10 business days for my funds to show back up in my funding account. So for 10 days, my money is somewhere in cyberspace, and I am losing interest on that money.

I am going to wait until the funds show back up in the funding account and then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I am going to calculate the interest I lost on that money due to Capital One's screw-up, and file that with my complaint to the BBB. So, if they want to resolve this issue to my satisfaction, they will be paying me my lost interest or else they will have a black mark on their record. I suggest you do the same thing as well.

I will NEVER deal with Capital One ever again. Common sense says that a bank should complete the verification process BEFORE letting a transfer go through! Pretty sad that Capital One is recommended by J.D.

Power and Associates. I just may have to report this to them as well!