Bellevue, Washington
2.3K views

I want to start by saying that the lowlife SOB'S at Capitol One are a bunch of theives. Myself and a close family friend had the unpleasent oppertunity to deal with these uneducated fools for over a year.

It started when my mother had a Capitol One card, she had this card for quite a while and was never late on any payments. She fell for the scam that they offered for their "Payment Protection", which is supposed to make regular payments in the event that you are disabled.

Unfortunatly, mom started getting sick. In order to keep making house payments, utility payments, and other financial obligations, she kept her job as long as she could, up until the point where she could no longer walk on her own and the doctors said she was disabled. At this time we sent the paperwork that Capitol One claimed that they needed.

The contract says that you must continue to make payments until Capitol One steps in on their plan. A close family friend quit his job to take care of moms daily needs and trips to the doctors which was 200 miles away. The doctors finally came up with a diagnosis of ovarian cancer that had spread to several organs in her body and her brain which did alot of damage.

For 8 months after mom quit working, we kept making payments on all of her accounts, including her Capitol One credit card. 8 months had gone by with several conversations with these bastards. At this point there was no more money to pay Capitol One. so we were forced to stop paying on that account.

At this point the people there were more than happy to send a letter saying that since we had missed a payment we had breached the contract for their Payment protection plan, and therefore they were no longer responsible.

Over the next 8 months, I spent well over 100 hours on the phone, constantly getting transfered back and forth and eventually hung up on. They hired 3 differant lawyers. Each time I received letters from these lawyers I would have to explain the situation to them for a couple of months. The first lawyers firm steped away from the case, as well as the 2nd. After 8 months the 3rd lawyer called and told me they had no case and they were going to drop it.

Mom spent 8 months paying on this account when she had no money coming in, and eventually went to a nursing home. Capitol One had an obligation to pay this and backed out. This was a drop in the ocean for Capitol One, but made this part all of our lives a nightmare. If I could find any one of these *** from Capitol One,I would rip their arms off and beat them with their bloody stumps.

It is unbelievable that a company that size can spend so much time and money trying to rip off a dying woman, all for $1500.00

Product or Service Mentioned: Capital One Credit Card.

Comments

I'm sorry some of you have had issues. However I became unemployed on 5/6/2013 and I have had no issues getting my benefits started and they have made my monthly payments.

No questions, no hassles. Sure I had to send in proof of being unemployed.

No Biggie, do what is required and know your benefit information and it will go smooth. its not hard to obtain the information on the benefits and how it works.

So, I had been in this program for years and haven't made my payment for almost 4 months now. I called C1 about a week ago and they told me I might qualify for a clam and transfered me over.

Long story short they they accepted my claim in 10 minutes and have now had a very large payment sent to C1 and I'm shocked! They literally payed 1/2 my bill and my minimum is now the lowest its ever been for me! Plus, get this, they are going to pay my minimum for the next 2 payments or until my benefits run out, 2-3 months. I'm still in shock and to be honest its the best $1 for $100 I've spent without even knowing I had even signed up for it.

I must note that I've had this for years and didn't realize it. Also, before this I had never missed a payment with C1 and typically payed twice my minimum every month.

They helped me and I'm sorry for those they could not. In my eyes its not much money for the possibility of something unexpected happening like in my case.

:( Totally bummed I am 71 years old and about three years ago I was going thro medicial issures & disibality problems. I had credit protection one capital one card.

I could not make payents. I called and ask to have help and was denied. Now i have not paid because of all the add-on charges. I have been called about 3 times daily for the three years and they also have report me to collection agencey and my credit score is in the tolet!!!!

What can be done? What of other done to stop them from ripping of people?

FOR THE PEOPLE SAYING THEY WORK FOR CAPITAL ONE ON THIS PAGE I COUNTED 27 MISSPELLED WORDS. AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW ITS CREDIT BUREAU NOT BURROWS.......I FIND IT VERY SCARY THAT YOU WORK FOR CAPITAL ONE AND EVEN SCARY THAT YOU WOULD BE THE ONE TO HANDLE MY CLAIM.ALSO WE ARE NOT YA ALL I THINK CAPITAL ONE WOULD RATHER YOU HAVE USED BETTER WORDS AS EACH OF YOU NOT YA ALL

For the person listed here....5. Written by Capital One Payment Protection on January 20, 2012 from ruckersville, virginia, US. IF YOU work for Capital One I see why we can not get our protection #1 YOU CAN NO SPELL #2 I HAVE READ MY INFO AND AS STATED I NEEDED TO CONTACT WITHIN ONE YEAR DONE AND DENIED SO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A REASON WITH OUT MISSPELLING EVERYTHING I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT !!!

Sorry about your Mum's situation Anonymous.

Having read all these comments I decided to cancel my PPI policy with them which I only started at the beginning of the year as I just don't trust them now.

I found out when I did this (without any argument from them), that they no longer provide this service or policy in the UK. So it seems that over here at least even they don't think the policy is fair.

My only other comment is that some of you would have trouble being taken seriously in the UK. Anon, your first paragraph says C1 are uneducated, you then go on to make so many spelling and grammatical errors as to negate your initial argument. As do several others on this site. Shame on the US education system.

I have the protection plan, called Capitalone to let them know that I was going to be late on a payment because I have been out of work for a couple of months.... they looked into my acct and told me about the plan.

I totally forgot I was paying for it. They connect me to someone else and said they will make a payment starting from the first month I got laid off up til this month and pay my minimal for the next couple of months. Check my online billing and guess what, they did exactly what they said they were going to do. I am pleased with the service.

Sorry so many of you did not experience the same thing I did.

Please call and try again. Memeber since 3 years ago.

their was a lawsuit for the payment protection plan bc i was in it

their was a lawsuit for the payment protection plan bc i was in it

Look to every last one of these yall can think it's a skam all you want but I actually work for them and the number to cancel is 1-800-527-6904 so call it they will NOT try to keep you it is our policy to automatically cancel you out if that is the reason you call...first you should maybe read what you have and how it works before you knock it...Nicole if you read the brochure it clearly states to call in once you lose your job not getting hours cut you have to send in proof of your last date worked?and IF you LOST your job they would pay up to 12 months or until you return back to work of your minimum mthly payment AND the cost of payment protection...Cindy READ THE BROCHURE IT STATS IT ON THERE THAT YOU MUST CALL WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF YOUR LAST DATE OF WORK!don't hate on them when you have the information and fail to read it :roll...CReyes it works it is called the "EMERGENCY PAYMENT" even though it is not an emergency it will make your minimum mthly payment AND the cost of the payment protection once per calendar year(starts in jan ends in dec)and even tho you made your payment it would be considered a "double payment" it would take your payment plus the payment they make put it together and just make it one big payment and it does not show up that they make that payment simply a payment is posted and the credit burrows see that as if you made the payment :grin ...Defrauded Capital One Consumer sorry that happened to you but under no circumstances can an agent enroll you in something you clearly say no to sorry but it just doesn't happen and if it did happen in your case call and cancel and ask for your money back they can automatically reimburse you your money and the maximum they can is 6 months for a did not authorize account it is simply that simple :) ...and there is 2 different types of disability insurances one being temporary disability and the other is permanent disability...temporary D they will pay up to 12 mths or until you return back to work of the minimum mthly payment AND the cost of payment protection & permanent D will pay the balance of your credit card OR up to $10,000 whichever is less yes there is some paper work involved but if you want them to help you and pretty much get what you've been paying for its worth it!my advice to all of you is to READ YOUR BROCHURE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE CALL THE NUMBER ABOVE AND ASK WHAT ALL COVERAGE YOU HAVE AND IN DETAIL HOW EACH BENEFIT WORKS!MATTER OF FACT HERE YOU GO:

.59 per $100 of ending statement balance includes

.89 per $100 of ending statement balance includes

JOINT DISABILITY

there is 2 different .99 per $100 of ending statement balance one is an older plan and one is a newer and way more upgraded

older version includes

newer version includes

LIFE EVENTS :grin

DEFINITIONS:

JOINT:covers the card holder AND the co-card holder

SINGLE:ONLY covers the card holder

JOINT LIFE:if the card holder OR co-card holder was to pass away they would pay the balance of the credit card balance OR up to $10,000 whichever is less

TEMPORARY/PERMANENT DISABILITY:already explained above

UNEMPLOYMENT:already explained above

EMERGENCY PAYMENT:already explained above

LIFE EVENTS:if any of these apply to you:

-marriage status

-new child/adopt a child

-new residence

-natural diaster(earthquake, tornade, etc.)

-car/home/medical expense of $1,500 or more

-start/graduate credited college

-night stay at an hospital

they would pay up to 3 mths of your minimum mthly payment PLUS the cost of payment protection.....with that said for ANYTHING THAT APPLIES TO YOU YOU MUST CALL WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF ANY OF THIS TO ACTIVATE ONE OF THESE AWESOME BENEFITS it is very benefical to those who truly need it.........and btw I myself am a single mom of 2 little girls whom we leave together alone I am 23 years old and I understand what its like for the unforunate people in this world and I do care b/c I'm one of them who barely makes enough to get by yes this is a multi million dollar company but this multi million dollar so called "SKAM" that you think they are is helping pay my bills keeping a roof over mine and my girls head keeping clothes on their back and food in their mouth so I am sorry some of you feel that way about us but I struggle EVERYDAY and try to help people like you but sometimes when you are upset you take it out on the ones that want to help you and are too blind to see it so get all your facts straight because Capital One Payment Protection is no where NEAR close to being a "SKAM" it tries to help the unforunate people out in this world and if they would just stop and realize it and get the facts of the protection maybe you'd realize how great of a protection it is!K THANKS! ;)

Look to every last one of these yall can think it's a skam all you want but I actually work for them and the number to cancel is 1-800-527-6904 so call it they will NOT try to keep you it is our policy to automatically cancel you out if that is the reason you call...first you should maybe read what you have and how it works before you knock it...Nicole if you read the brochure it clearly states to call in once you lose your job not getting hours cut you have to send in proof of your last date worked?and IF you LOST your job they would pay up to 12 months or until you return back to work of your minimum mthly payment AND the cost of payment protection...Cindy READ THE BROCHURE IT STATS IT ON THERE THAT YOU MUST CALL WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF YOUR LAST DATE OF WORK!don't hate on them when you have the information and fail to read it :roll...CReyes it works it is called the "EMERGENCY PAYMENT" even though it is not an emergency it will make your minimum mthly payment AND the cost of the payment protection once per calendar year(starts in jan ends in dec)and even tho you made your payment it would be considered a "double payment" it would take your payment plus the payment they make put it together and just make it one big payment and it does not show up that they make that payment simple a payment is posted and the credit burrows see that as if you made they payment :grin ...Defrauded Capital One Consumer sorry that happened to you but under no circumstances can an agent enroll you in something you clearly say no to sorry but it just doesn't happen and if it did happen in your case call and cancel and ask for your money back they will do it they can automatically reimburse you your money and the maximum they can is 6 months for a did not authorize account it is simply that simple :) ...and there is 2 different types of disability insurances one being temporary disability and permanent disability...temporary D they will pay up to 12 mths or until you return back to work of the minimum mthly payment AND the cost of payment protection & permanent D will pay the balance of your credit card OR up to $10,000 whichever is less yes there is some paper work involved but if you want them to help you and pretty much get what you've been paying for its worth it!my advice to all of you is READ YOUR BROCHURE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE CALL THE NUMBER ABOVE AND ASK WHAT ALL COVERAGE YOU HAVE AND IN DETAIL HOW EACH BENEFIT WORKS!MATTER OF FACT HERE YOU GO:

.59 per $100 of ending statement balance includes

.89 per $100 of ending statement balance includes

JOINT DISABILITY

there is 2 different .99 per $100 of ending statement balance one is an order plan one is newer and way more upgraded

older version includes

LIFE EVENTS:if any of these apply to you:

-marriage status

-new child/adopt a child

-new residence

-natural diaster(earthquake, tornade, etc.

-car/home/medical expense of $1,500 or more

-start/graduate credited college

-night stay at an hospital

they would pay up to 3 mths of your minimum mthly payment PLUS the cost of payment protection.....with that said for ANYTHING THAT APPLIES TO YOU YOU MUST CALL WITHIN 12 OF ANY OF THIS TO ACTIVATE ONE OF THESE AWESOME BENEFITS it is very benefical to those who truly need it.........and btw I myself am a single mom of 2 little girls whome we leave together I am 23 years old and I understand what its like for the unforunate people in this world and I do care b/c I'm one of them who barely makes enough to get by yes this is a multi million dollar company but this multi million dollar so called "SKAM" that you think they are is helping pay my bills keeping a roof over mine and my girls head keeping clothes on their back and food in their mouth so I am sorry some of you feel that way about us b ut I struggle EVERYDAY to help people like you but sometimes when you are upset you take it out on the ones that want to help you and are too blind to see it so get all your facts straight because Capital One Payment Protection is no where NEAR close to being a "SKAM" it tries to help the unforunate peoplle out in this world and if they would just stop and realize it and get the facts of the protection maybe you'd realize how great of a protection it is!K THANKS! ;)

We got our card in 2006, and in order to activate it we had to call the toll free number. At that same time we were connected with a representative who verified our information, and then asked if we wanted to purchase their Payment Protection Plan.

We said NO, but they refused to listen, and kept talking over our response as though they were reading from a script. We continued to say NO ... WE DO NOT WANT THIS SERVICE, but they continued to disregard what we were saying. I waited for a response to see if they acknowledged what I had to say, and then I heard a CLICK.

They hung up the phone, and have been billing us for this service ever since. I have called numerous times to have the service removed, and have had multiple chats with their online chat representatives, but they keep telling me that I need to call their 888 number, which is ludicrous because it's the same number I've been calling for the past 2 years with no success or resolution to remove the service, let alone credit back to our card. Capital One is, in fact, defrauding their consumers, and somebody needs to do something about this.

I am fed up with being forced to pay hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for services I have never agreed to purchase, let alone authorized to be charged to my credit card. If Capital One continues to defraud their consumers like this, the FTC needs to shut them down or put them out of business!

They took my monthly payment very month but whe I became disabled they denied my claim. Avoid them!

does any bodY know what capital one requires to close an UNACTIVATED CREDIT CARD? do i have to mail a copy of my ss#,D.L,& utillity bill along with my written request?(they keep telling me different things thats why im asking)after all the negative reviews i have read i dont want this card.(the following are reviews that i have read)i dont want to expirience what these customers have expirienced,cust.when you try you use your card they put a fraud alert making the card to decline(HOW EMBARRASING)customer service rude and not good, they hang up on you,misteriously unauthorised charges will appear, and when you call to dispute them they put you on hold for a looong time,you get hung up on, they DONT mail your monthly statement and when you call they LIE and say they did mail your monthly statements, and next thing u know u have all these hidden and late fees and next thing u know your being sued and your credit is screwed up.

i dont want to have to go though this that why i want to cancell. and it better go SMOOTHLY cause im NOT gona get SUCKERED AND PUSHED AROUND...!I mean what is this world becoming to? the rich get ritcher (by scewing the poor) and the poor get poorer and scewed..

wish me luck im going in.. over and out

Their "CreditInform" system issues bogus fees. We declined this service, and sure as heck, these charges appeared on billing-3.

We called four+times, and were told that these charges would be removed, but sure as heck again, these charges were there again.

And then they charged us Late-fees, for non-payment. We took our losses, and closed all of their accounts, for all of our family.

Sorry to hear soo many people have a bad experience but they have been great in my case. I've had the misfortune of being unemployed twice in three years and they have paid my claim each and every time and have even back paid from the initial period that i was unemployed when i called them months later.

So, I noticed the Payment Protection Fees on my statement and I do not recall applying for it...hmmmm

I call them with the intent to cancel as I plan on paying the darn thing off. The rep tells me that because I've been on the plan, I am actually eligible to have a "courtesy payment" made on my behalf by them... :x

He said there was no additional fee and that I would not be affected in any way.

I even asked what would happen if I had them make this payment, then cancelled the plan immediately after and he said that I could do that although they'd hate to see me go????

I am confused and don't believe that this is going to go as smoothly.

I have 10 days until this "courtesy payment" kicks in but I made sure to make my payment as well....suggestions?

let's start a class action please for anyone who has [had] this BS service

#199785

The payment protection plan is only good if you notify Capital One within 12 months of being unemployed. I continued to pay the credit card while unemployed but when the unemployment ran out and was still unable to obtain employment; I contacted them requesting usage of the protection plan and was told I was too late and no assistance was available.

Go figure when the going gets tough.....you get kicked in the *** by companies who do not care for the average citizen!! Do not enroll in the plan!!