I had a company credit with Chase so I applied for a credit card with Capital One. I was approved. On September of last year the card I had with Chase was now offered by Capital One. I called to close my Capital One credit card account. I was told that they could not change the credit card I had for the one I wanted. They told me since my credit scores and report were very good I should have no problem getting the new card.

I waited for 3 months to make sure my account was reported as closed to the credit Bureau's. I applied for the new card on the Capital One website. They told me they could not take my application over the phone. I was declined. When I received my denial letter the main reason was that I did not use my other open Credit Card from Capital One. Ever since then every time I reapplied for the card I want I get the same denial letter.

I have spoken to customer support they told me they could not help me with my denial and even though my credit report shows no credit or other accounts with Capital One they say if the letter says I have an open account with Capital One I must have one.

Review about: Capital One Account.

Had an Experience with Capital One?

Comments

I used to work in a call center representing Capital One, in the department known as Acquisitions (which meant I helped sign people up for credit cards). During my time there, I got a few calls similar to your situation, so I'll help explain what I know:

For one, Capital One outsources most (if not all) of its phone-based business to call centers (like the one where I worked). We were even told to lie if asked directly, "Are you working directly for Capital One or for an outsourcing call center," which was just one of the many annoyances I had working there, but I digress. The point here is that being in an outsourcing call center, we are very limited with what information we can access. The department I was in uses a different system than the others, so Acquisitions can't access ANYTHING about your previous or current accounts--we couldn't even transfer you to someone who could, because we were an inbound-only department. All we could do was give you the phone number for Customer Service and tell you to call them.

Now, any phone agent who says they're looking at your credit report or credit score is a liar. Sorry to break it to you, but it's true--some people in call centers will say anything just to get a sale, which is major BS. It's emphasized by our supervisors and trainers that we're not credit counselors and we can't tell customers how signing up for a credit card, closing a credit card, using a credit card, or anything else may affect the...

That being said, that doesn't mean that many of us never learned a thing or two about the basics of how credit works. The letter you're getting likely means that the account you had with Capital One before--the one you closed--wasn't used enough for Capital One to warrant opening up a new line of credit for you. The reason behind this goes something like this: When you open up a credit card, your credit line is essentially a loan. Being a financial institution, Capital One has to pay certain business taxes on every loan they give out. They earn that tax money back plus profit based on the APR and fees associated with the account. So, if a customer gets a credit card and never uses it, then Capital One is paying taxes on a loan that isn't seeing any returns--it's just a bad investment for the business.

It's possible that your misreading the letter and it's talking about your closed account--not one that they're saying is still open--because they will still have records of your history as a customer with them even if the account(s) are closed. Of course, it's also possible that Capital One is messing up and still thinks your account there is open for some reason, because when you serve hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of clients, you're bound to run into some clerical errors here and there because of some oversight by some personnel somewhere in the corporation. It sucks, but it's a reality of business.

My best advice to you is to find a reliable credit counselor or financial adviser and see what other options you may have. Continuing to reapply for the same card over and over again after you keep getting denied may be hurting your credit, and I can guarantee you that if you try to apply for a Capital One card within 45 days of having filed another card application with them, it will be automatically denied.

Hope this has been helpful.