26.8K views

My wife and I each applied for new Capital One credit cards. The cards arrived yesterday.

My wife activated hers, used it once, tried to use it at an ATM but had problems with the PIN #. Called customer service. Tried to make another purchase, declined. Called again and told card had fraud hold.

I activated my new card a couple hours later. Used it 3 times locally for small amounts over a couple hour time period. Then got declined for a $3.98 transaction. Called Capital One and told I now have a fraud alert on my account.

We both faxed in all of the requested documentation yesterday. Told it takes 4 business days. This is unacceptable Capital One! How ironic that we each have exactly the same thing happen the same day with two different accounts and two different people.

We have two other Capital One credit cards and an auto loan. I think we'll be taking our business elsewhere.

Product or Service Mentioned: Capital One Credit Card.

Comments

At least they left everything else in tact. They are fully going after me

I also got the Venture card, got it in the mail and tried to activate it, and it said it was restricted. I called customer service, it immediately went to the fraud department. But all she needed was the last 4 of my social and my phone number.

Same thing happened to us. We didn't lose any money though but I am getting all money out of my savings there too; this bank is incompetent as far as I am concerned.

Same thing happened to my husband and I. Can't get the card activated even after sending info in.

They said we have to wait 48 hours to call and verify the phone number is ours. Canceling the card!!

Oh I’ve been going through the same thing for over a month now. I’ve had another Cap 1 card for a few years now, applied, was approved, used it a few times with no problem.

Even used it in Mexico with no problem. Return to the U.S., BAMM, fraud alert. I call them up, and they verify I am who I am by sending me a unique code via text to the number on file, everything is good to go. Next time I go to use it, nope, fraud alert.

I end up submitting a copy of my drivers license, SSN card, and an old internet bill (two weeks old), they call me refusing the internet bill because i had terminated the service (the bill showed my address). So I submit a copy of my cell phone bill. BAMM, I receive a phone call that they won’t accept that because it’s for a cell phone, even though it shows my name, address, and account number. Finally I submit the the cover sheet of my bank which shaped my name, address, account number, and balance.

BAMM, I get a phone call on a Saturday morning at 7am saying that they need time to call my bank while they’re on the phone with me, kinda difficult as it’s 7am on the weekend and bank is closed at that time!Finally I’d had enough, so sent an email to Cap 1’s executive office detailing the list of events, and told them I was cancelling BOTH of my capital one accounts. I then called Cap 1 to cancel both, and you know what, even though I’m accused of fraud, they had no problem cancelling that card. Amazing how they can cancel an account by a person they’re also saying they can not verify.Two days later, I received a call from Cap 1 regarding my email. I told the gentleman a brief summary that reasserts my email, and he seemed to be in shock also that an account can be cancelled even though their fraud department is calling me a liar/thief and need even more documentation.

He’ll research it and get back to me.We’ll see what happens. I’m done with this data mining from Capital One!

If they fix things on their end, fine. If not, they can forget about that $40k car loan I was approved for, I’ll take all my business else where.

Soon as the guy called me "boss man" and told me "it is what it is" I hung up the phone, thankful that I read online that real banks dont need any I.d. to activate a credit card....CAPITAL ONE IS FRAUDULENT, THE POLICE SHOULD INVESTIGATE THEM.

I received an invitation to apply Venture card. filled application, went thru credit check, got approved, and received Venture card today.

Having trouble activate on either smartphone or online, I called Capital one bank then was asked to provide three more documentations. I just said "No thanks" and hung up ...

Applied for a business card. They requested I fax my EIN letter from the IRS.

No problem. Makes sense. I wait 10 days, get the card in the mail. Yay, go to activate it and i'm transferred to the fraud department.

They say I need to fax or upload my photo ID and wait 3 days. Slightly annoyed, but sure whatever i'll do it. 4 days later, someone from Capital One calls me and says that my ID isn't good enough and that they now need a copy of my social security and a utility bill. I tell her I lost my social security card and can I send a birth certificate instead?

I guess thats not good enough. It's the ultimate piece of ID right? It will take 3 weeks to get a replacement social security card. In the meantime MY ONLINE BANK ACCOUNT & RETIREMENT ACCOUNT WONT LET ME SIGN IN.

GREAT! So because I applied for a new card, you are going to restrict my online access to my bank account of 10 years? WHAT A F'ING JOKE OF A COMPANY.

If I had read these reviews I would have never applied for another Capital One card. You will never have my business again when you treat long time customers like this.

icenectar

I've had the same thing happen to me. I only got the card because financial pages said it was a good way to build up my credit.

I applied, got approved, then had to reapply after waiting nearly a week to get the card. The credit report was pulled that day. I received my card in the mail shortly after that.

Activating it is like pulling teeth.

Spoke to the fraud department last Tues. and they told me I needed to send over a copy of my ID front and back. Did so and waited three days only to call again and find out that they needed a copy of my social and a utility bill with my address on it. I have to wait three more days to be verified.

I was planning on using the funds I'd been approved for for my rent and a bus pass.

Now I don't know when or IF I'll be able to use it. I asked the second fraud specialist if they would any more information and he couldn't confirm himself to a yes or no answer.

to icenectar #1399963

Did you ever get approved?

Yikes. These reviews are making me nervous about doing business with Capital One.

I applied for a card over a month ago. They requested proof of ID and social and address, so I faxed that all to them. They told me the fax was too dark to read, so they were denying me. But since they state in the application process that I have 35 days to comply with their application rules, I mailed hard copies of everything they wanted.

The post office LOST the registered return receipt parcel, but found and delivered it after a week. Capital One rep told me that they would have to do a SECOND hard inquiry. Not good. The first inquiry lowered my credit score by 10 points, so I didn't want a second hit three weeks later!

I asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to an office in the U.S. We talked for a couple of days, she prevented the second inquiry and told me the card was approved and in the mail. To be honest, I'm afraid to try and use it when it comes. This outsourcing is a big problem for consumers.

The people don't seem competent or knowledgeable and gave me different information every time that I called. I only applied to try and boost my mid-600 credit score, but the scoring system is arbitrary and makes no sense at all.

There has got to be a better way. I'm going to look into credit unions.

Kailua, Hawaii, United States #1344582

I have a Capital One card (no annual fee) I picked up about a year and a half ago with no problems and in good standing. This time my wife applied for the Capital One card (double miles, annual fee), we got the card and tried to activate.

We were told the same thing in comments below.....fraud activity and we needed DL, social security card, proof of address (mortgage bill, etc) to activate. Being she didn't have the original SSC (only the receipt portion)....it was not acceptable. I told them we already have the other card why so much security....beyond what seems like she was applying for a "secret clearance"!

What a waste of time. I'm going elsewhere.

to Ron Baltimore, Maryland, United States #1351521

I just applied for a capital one card in which I was approved but tried to activate my card for the first time and the said there was illegal activity on this card. Hmmm how is that it was never activated.

They requested a copy of my driver license in which I faxed it and I was told to give them 72 hours to verify my identity ok 72 hours is it they need another 72 hours. What it going on? My suggestion is even if you are approved by capital one please don't use this card or company because they do not have it together. Don't trust this company.

Save your cash or go else where. This is the worst company on the planet

to Tony Long #1417900

Do you have the fax number that they had you send your docs to? Can't find it anywhere online, and before we finished the call the guy forgot to give us the dang fax number.... ugh!

Trenton, New Jersey, United States #1343498

Just called to activate new card. Placed on hold and transferred to fraud department.

Asked several questions and then told to upload my drivers license within 14 days.

Asked if this was random, and they said no they are trying to prevent fraud. I said well you sure know how to scare people and make them nervous and worry while being placed on hold and told fraudulent activity going on.

Oxford, Wisconsin, United States #1331424

This just happened to my family as well. It's ridiculous!

Longview, Washington, United States #1292000

I had the similar run around with Capital One for the Spark Business CC. Excellent credit and provided requested documents EIN letter and then repeated situations where card was de-activated. I got to the bottom of it by escallating it and it was a simple call back on my mobile phone to verify who I was.

Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States #1270769

Im in the same boat. This is my 2nd capital one card.

I have had the other for years. Never late, no problems. Now, the foreigner that I spoke with, has all of my personal info.

They are selling our information to third parties for millions.

This card is a scam. I have 5 credit cards, and didnt have to apply with capital one. I have a 600 score, but, just due to high balances.

Paying your bills and never late for 10 years, should get you a better score.

So, I have to deal with a 3rd world country credit card like these people.

I HAVE READ SO MANY HORROR STORIES, YOU CANT EVEN PAY OFF YOUR ACCOUNT WITHOUT THEM FREEZING IT FIRST AND MAKING YOU PROVE YOURSELF. EVEN THEN, THEY KEEP HOLDS ON YOUR ACCOUNT, AND DENY ACCESS TO PAY IT. THEY WILL KILL YOUR CREDIT SCORE ON PURPOSE.

PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THIS. LAWSUITS NEED TO FLY !!!

CAPITAL ONE IS A SCAM CARD !!!!!!!

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, United States #1256039

i also applied for the venture capitalone card, for the double miles. was approved.

the card arrived at my home address. but before i could activate the card it was listed as restricted. rep stated there was suspicious activity on the account. how is there any activity, at all, on an inactive account?

i was told that to prove my identity i needed to send a copy of my drivers license, passport, recent bill. so i told them if there is suspicious activity on an account that's not even active then they should close the account. period. i then waited approx.

six months reapplied and, not too surprised, the account was restricted do to suspicious activity on the account. again before it was activated. capitalone apparently is collecting as much personal information as they can, on all of their new card applicants.

don't give it to them. there are plenty of other credit card companies available with better perks.

Colton, California, United States #1246284