New York, New York

I have been a CapitalOne customer for 8 years. I recently received an offer for their QuickSilver card and, because of the cash back benefits, I thought why not.

I applied for the card and was accepted. In the intervening time, I left my credit card at a friend's, but thought, no problem, my new card will arrive soon. I received the new card and was reading through the fine print and saw that, if I just called this number, I could protect my information. I called the number and explained that I would like to protect my information, but, first, they had to verify my information.

As a longtime CapitalOne customer, I have received many calls about suspected fraudulent activity and those calls take all of five minutes. But for some reason it took 15 minutes to verify my SSN and phone number. Then they had to call me back. They hung up the first time.

That took another 10 minutes. I kept explaining that all I wanted to to do was OPT OUT of selling some of my information to third-party advertisers. But then I was told that I would have to send 1) a copy of my license, 2) a copy of SS card, and 3) a utility bill. I confirmed that this was just to OPT OUT of advertising.

I was told yes. I commented that this seemed like a lot of work to protect my information. I have friends who are consumer fraud attorneys and this sounded suspect. Then, I tried to use my card.

And found out that it was blocked. Though I had never used it. I called and was transferred to fraud protection. They have all of my information.

As I have been a customer for 8 years.

It is comforting to know that others have cards that are blocked before they have ever been used, but, in this instance, I believe that it was punishment for trying to protect my information. Which is required under federal law.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

• capitalone