Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This is the worst card ever.

In mid-March I had my card turned off by the fraud dept with no notice while I was overseas, when I need it most. They did not even give me a phone call to discuss any fraud or to give me any notice it was being turned off. After being declined by several merchants overseas, I gave them a call. They said my card was turned off. I asked "why?". They said because of fraudulent activity in Dec '18. While it is true I did have fraudulent activity in Dec '18, a new card was issued at that time and it was old news.

I asked what that had to do with my new card? They did not have an answer. I asked if there was any current fraudulent activity with my new card. They said "No". I asked again why they turned off my card. They said it must be some sort of "glitch". I said "no problem, just turn it back on." They said that they could not do that, and it would have to be escalated to a higher department for investigation and it should take no more than 7 days.

In the mean time, I was overseas without the use of this card. I have all my bills enrolled for auto payment using this card. Some of those bill payments were declined, and now I am dealing with that, too.

The seven day period passed, and my case has still not been "investigated". I spoke to 3 different managers in the fraud department, no one could help me and not one of them found any evidence of fraud. I am unable to log in to my account. My account is now marked as "Charged Off", a term used for delinquent card holders, and this is a black mark on my credit report. I have paid my bill in full on time every month for many many years. Ever since I first had this account in fact. They did tell me they have a back log with these types of investigations, and this could now take up to 30 days.

This is the worst card ever.

Product or Service Mentioned: Capital One Credit Card.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

I was in the Philippines for four months this winter and my card was also frozen in December, 18. They made it impossible to reactivate it from there.

Upon return to the U.S. I contacted their customer service to find out what I needed to do to get the card activated. I did not like sending them every thing they wanted, but I did. That was a week ago and I have not heard any thing.

I called them this morning to find out what was going on. I was told they could not contact my utility company to verify my address at the number listed on my utility bill. They tried again while I was on the line and told me they could not make contact. I hung up and called the same number and made contact in three rings.

I asked the utility company for a direct line number. I called Capitol One and gave them that number and they kept me on hold while they tried that number. They informed me they could not make contact with the utility company. I had the supervisor try and they could not get through.

I hung up and called the direct number and talked to a person at the utility company within three rings. I am so angry with this company and I hope no one else has to go through this nightmare. Are they so stupid that they can't make a phone call?

I am going to call them back and see if I can get someone from the U.S. to try and call the utility company.

h.kitchener

Could it be that your card was "declined" due to the fact that the charges were coming from outside the US? This seems the most likely scenario.

You are doing two things incorrectly, from a financial safety perspective: not having at least two credit cards active with you when traveling not only out, but within the states. Card companies are getting very finicky about charges outside your residence locale and will decline charges quickly and without your knowing it until it happens. Also, using the autopay for most any recurring bill might be easy, it can be dangerous when something happens to that card---as you found out.

Most banks have a free "bill pay" method by which you can choose when and how to pay these bills when you wish or are away someplace. As for Capital One, I only dealt with them once years ago and was singularly unimpressed with their customer service.

JetPittsburgh
@h.kitchener

I travel for work and have used this card in a dozen countries for years, it was never a problem. In fact, one of the selling points of this card is no foreign transaction fees, so they should expect that it is used overseas.

I do carry a second card with me, but that's not the point. My second card charges foreign transaction fees so I hate to use it. I also know banks offer a free "bill pay", but I prefer to use the card to maximize reward points. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to do so reliably without this type of concern.

My issue with Capital One is one of customer service.

No correspondence to confirm the alleged "fraud" (which did not occur), no communication about shutting down my card and account, not having the ability to turn it back on, listing it as "charged off", stating it could take a month to resolve this, and robbing me of hundreds of dollars worth or reward points, if not over $1,000 worth. I'll be searching for a new primary card, as well as a new back up.