Featured
william a Fiz
map-marker Irvine, California

Poor service when replacing credit card

Capital One - Poor service when replacing credit card
Explore video interviews
Advertisements

Someone hacked my telephone on Thursday. He used my phone to call a number on my phone and then send me $500 in Amazon credits.

I then called Capital One to get a replacement card. Because Verizon had not correctly created my number, Capital One at the last step of the process could not reach my number even though I was able to receive several confirmation calls with the secret codes.

After those several attempts, the rep said he would send an email and I would have to restart the process that humans in the credit department would review.

Today, I spoke to four people who said that once the PROCESS had begun, I could not restart, or backtrack it. I now have to wait up to ten business days to get a replacement card EVEN THOUGH Google pay is using a new number that Capital One assigned. Even parts of the computer system are not visible to others at the bank.

A few of the reps I spoke with were abysmally scripted. It's just one more example of the dumbing down of American education AND a reliance on software written in foreign countries.

Pros:
  • Answer phones
  • Talk on phones
Cons:
  • Rigid
  • Inflexible

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Do not expect this bank's systems and employees to vary from whatever script they use for their jobs.

Guest

There's a reason for this old man. They have apps and websites that will allow fools to do their business.

The days of talking on a phone with a "human" are dying as are people in your age group. Time to adapt or be left behind Opa.

Patricia T Cvr

| map-marker Bartow, Florida

Double charged

BUDGET RENTAL double charged me. I prepaid then they charged me again...

I just want someone from capital one to question budget why they double charged me... but instead they tell me to send evidence to prove it..

I will mail what i xan out thus Monday July 22th...But can anyone ask Budget to prove why they double charged me...Been a customer for over 30 yrs. Never have i ever had such a problem

Sunni S Kql

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Providence, Virginia

Capital One's Inconsistencies for Cust

Capital One's Inconsistencies for Cust

Capital One Reps/Managers,

JC- kjh599, spoke to on 03/16/24, very polite very empathetic but did the best she could) had to escalate to escalate to supervisor Mary- lsa222, who also did a great job with helping me follow the process on the things I need to send in and set proper expectations

03/26/24

Ivy (lied on call to tell me what wasn't there when evidence was provided and she looked at nothing), then when escalated to Manager Sam (was very argumentative on call, did not look at anything before giving me proper evaluation and gave me no options to address concern (Before 10am)

03/28/24

Sherri (verified evidence and supervisor that validated evidence)(415pm), Manager Mel (took over an hour to review evidence just to not resolve anything or honor my request to dispute my charge as requested. Ridiculous amount of time wasted while being at work when it seems like he was purposely dragging along the time until he got off of work(430pm)

Kat, lied on call to tell me I never spoke with a manager but never took a look at any notes until after the fact and then escalated call since it was evident she wanted to do the bare minimum (830pm)

Adis, Manager (855pm)

Olh614.

What a huge disappointment to have this many working for such a company. Refused to give me any information about the time frame of notes on file and was very combative, argumentative. Extremely unprofessional on the call and he should be investigated and/or fired after you take the time out to listen and review the call that took place as he painted me out to be someone who was trying to get over when that is not the case. The call felt very targeted and discriminated through his tone.

He was extremely aggressive with his tone which is unnecessary and disappointing to have with the company when as a customer I was trying to work with someone to get my issue resolved

Ricky, Pkk405, this man should get a promotion. He handled himself with professionalism and was empathetic. He knew exactly what to do and provided me with vital information as to how we can try to make the issue try to work out for me in my favor

Was told by multiple agents and mgrs (including Ricky) that my evidence was validated on the 16th and on the 19th of March which is also why I received the provision credit twice. So I do hate that I have to write to the corporation of the matter but I am trying to make sure I stick around to be a customer with Capital One because how this experience has been going for the people who have lacked, now has created tension with me as a paying customer and this is mainly with your management team.

I need this to be rectified as I have even decided to stay with this company when upgrading my card to the QuickSilver card and was looking to upgrade again but if this issue is not resolved and your company is not willing to be on the same page since one set of people are doing the work to help their customers and the others are not alongside of handling their customers in an extremely unprofessional and uncomfortable manner then we have a huge conflict of interest. Feel free to give me a call or email me at the contacts that will be listed below. Thank you and have a blessed day

04/02/24

Eman, (8:30pm)

Once again another agent asked me to provide documentation that I have already implemented into the system/link that the company asked me to provide. I am very unsure why we are back to square one with this situation.

As when addressing the concern, the agent did not provide any sound information as to why. He stated I should resend in my documents when he seen everything that I've sent in as the company has asked for me to do

Eman warm transferred to an unknown manager and the manager did not state his name nor did he say much on the call. The call magically disconnected and that was my last straw with the company so as a reference to the corporation I genuinely hope you resolve this matter as I will no longer be a customer for Capital One. You can go back and fourth with RIU Palace Pacifico as they will not get any money from me and Capital One will NEVER attain business from me in the future as this matter was handled poorly and the company has a lot of work to do as their frontline workers and management team are not following the same policies and procedures.

Please look into the calls on the days listed with the front line workers and managers that I've spoken with. The company is welcome to alleviate me from the potential charge that I am disputing that I did provide substantial amounts of evidence for as the dispute department did not do their job to fight for their customer

Let it be known that Capital One and RIU resorts will come to an agreement to address the charge between each other because neither company is going to receive a penny from me

Loss:
Pros:
  • Did help to bring my credit up
Cons:
  • When it comes to disputes they do not handle them well

User's recommendation: Stay away

Terry B Ckc

Verified Reviewer

Refuses to express mail new card overseas

Capital One - Refuses to express mail new card overseas

My credit card was shut down due to 'fraudulent activity'. As a loyal customer of Capital One for 24 years, I asked them to express mail the new card.

They refused. I live overseas, and it will take three weeks to get the new card by mail!

Pros:
  • Long term customer
Cons:
  • Unresponsive customer service

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Don't use Capital One

Poor Customer Service

My Capitol One Credit card is in good standing, even usually with a running credit balance. Last week I tried to purchase several bottles of wine from a New York State Finger Lakes Winery which I like a lot.

The online purchase failed but did not provide any reason for the failure, so I ended up calling in a phone order instead. The winery placed the order to be charged to my Capitol one Card and it was declined with a cryptic message "transaction limit reached".

I later called Capitol Ones and was informed that the card was locked for suspected fraudulent activity (DUH, yes, my attempt tp purchase the wine). OK, I understand that there needs to be some security checks. I had to go thru hoops on the phone with customer service to prove that I am who I am.

Process took about 20 minutes. I was assured that the card was unlocked and that the charge would now go through OK.

I called the winery back and the card declined AGAIN. Once more I called Capitol One customer service and got the same talking points: card locked for suspected fraud. I complained that I was JUST assured that the transaction would work.

They had no answer but to put me thru the same hoops and verification questions again, another 20 minutes wasted. They gave total assurance this would now work.

Well, guess what? Another try for a phone order several hours latter and the card declined a third time. And the winery probably thinks I am a con artist.

I ended up buying wine at a different source using a different credit card.

A day later I figured I had to call Capitol One back as now my card was locked for any use given all the declined charges. This time I asked to speak to a supervisor. Bad move. I had to go thru all the same hoops PLUS more including a demand for photos front and back of my driver license.

I was not happy but I complied. Once again they said everything is fine to try the charge again... I told them too late, I made a different purchase elsewhere with another card. This last time I was tied up at least 45 minutes with them, repeating the same verification questions plus more.

I do not plan on using CAPITOL ONE again, but will keep the card open as contingency only.

I totally understand the first security/fraud check, but I cannot understand how the card declined three times for "fraud" when I went thru their verification and told them in advance I would be making the purchase.

They never apologized once.

I told them I was a very unhappy customer, and continue to be a "Pissed Customer". -- Ginny B Cranberry Twp, PA

Cons:
  • Poor customer service
  • Much aggregation

Preferred solution: Looking for Apology to me and the Winery. Fix this procedure so that charges can go through as promised after first check.

User's recommendation: Do not use Capitol One unless you like aggravation aplenty

Guest

"but will keep the card open as contingency only" And they'll probably cancel it. Banks do not make money from people who foolishly leave a credit balance on a card.

That's plain stupid. As to the wine, get it somewhere else and see if the card shuts down.

I'll bet it won't. You and your cats will be fine without wine for a few days you skell...

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2533937

You seem to have missed the point. How I keep up with my credit card balances is not your concern and not the issue here.

The point is the horrible customer service and the aggravation it caused. And for your information, I have no cats, and if I did, they would not care for wine anyway.

reply icon Replying to comment of Virginia B Ksm

Everything you post on a PUBLIC site is my concern and open to my judgment old lady. It's clear you're a miserable person who only a stupid dog would like. B

Guest

Cap One ia a *** Bank. You're not the only one with this story. Poor customer service on their part.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2533806

Thanks, interesting to know that there is a similar track record

View more comments (4)
Bobby M Obb

Stranded me in another country with a credit card, DO NOT USE

After being accepted for a credit card with a $30k limit, I used it to charge for about a month. No problems occurred.

I booked tickets and traveled to a foreign country. Again, no problems for a few days. Then it abruptly stopped working. No notice was given, it just stopped.

The app and account just displayed 'restricted'. I called to get the restriction lifted, thinking they had flagged a foreign charge as fraud (they claimed it was unnecessary to notify them about my travels), and they requested: copies of my passport, birth certificate, social security card, utility bill, and more, all while I was traveling. This was non-negotiable; they could not accept anything other than all those documents.

Capital One seemed perfectly content to strand me in a foreign country with no credit card, despite having successfully processed charges for over a month, and for several days while I was abroad. DO NOT USE.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Do not care about you

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: DO NOT USE THEM!

Bobby M Obb

Stranded me in a foreign country with no credit card, DO NOT USE

After being accepted for a credit card with a $30k limit, I used it to charge for about a month. No problems.

I booked tickets and traveled to a foreign country. Again, no problems...for a few days. Then it stopped working. No notice, it just stopped.

The app and account just showed 'restricted.' I called to get the restriction lifted, thinking they'd flagged a foreign charge as fraud (with no way to tell them that I'm traveling, they claimed it's unnecessary), and they requested copies of my passport, birth certificate, SSN card, utility bill, and more, all while I'm traveling. It's non-negotiable; they cannot accept anything short of those documents.

Capital One was perfectly happy to strand me in a foreign country with no credit card, despite me having worked and processed charges for over a month, and several days of traveling. I highly advise not to use their services.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Idiots and thieves

Trent J Aps

INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME PAYMENTS

Capital One - INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME PAYMENTS
Capital One - INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME... - Image 2
Capital One - INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME... - Image 3

3 years ago, I was rebuilding my credit from the mid 520's. I had to purchase a prepaid card and start from scratch.

I wanted to open another account to help open more lines of credit and establish history with Capital One. Their interest rate was absurd at 32%, but I didn't intend on using it. However, life happens, and I was in a situation where I was forced to use the card, so I had a roof over my head. The entire time I have had this card, I have had a 100% payment history, sometimes paying more than necessary to get ahead.

I recently called them asking if they could lower after paying them religiously on time ever since I have owned the card. They told me the interest rate is determined by the Federal Reserve and will not budge below the 32% interest rate that I was given when I didn't have the best credit. A simple Google search shows the average interest rate for good credit is around 22%. I did just purchase a car and have never missed a payment on anything within the last 3 years.

My score was in the excellent range at Hoffman Ford when I purchased my vehicle.

I realize credit companies do not have to lower their rates, but on the flip side, they can lower them for loyal paying customers. If you are in desperate need of a credit card, go for Citibank as Capital One cares nothing for their members undivided devotion to payment.

Pros:
  • Credit at an exorbitant rate
Cons:
  • 3 years and 100 percent payment history will not lower rate

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Go to Discover or Citibank.

Guest

No way in less than three years did one secured credit card take you from a 525 credit score to between 781 and 850.( excellent range). Your interest rate on your auto loan would be mid single digits if excellent. Also, if you had excellent credit you could get a new card with a very low rate and do a balance transfer.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2487563

I bet the dealer conned her on the auto loan. They saw the credit card at 32% rate and told her with her “excellent ” credit they could get her a rate of 20%.

Guest

Go look at the interest rate on your car loan. Excellent credit is a score of 781- 850.(850 is the highest).

In that range a used car loan is 7.5% and new car 5.6%. It seems unlikely you were using a prepaid secured card three years ago and that raised your score from 525 to 781 or higher. If your credit is excellent you should be able to get a new card at a much lower rate and do a balance transfer.

However, you need someone to look at your accounts and an accurate score. Your info doesn’t add up.

View more comments (2)
Tk K Dtt

| map-marker Lindenhurst, New York

Documents Requested

Capital One - Documents Requested
Capital One - Documents Requested - Image 2

Hi good morning, I tried applying for a credit card but it didnt work because the email address was incorrect. I received an email to send in additional information which I did but when I called a representative told me that they didnt receive any information so they told me to email the information!

My question is how do I email the correct information and how long does it take to process! Thank you in advance!

gary a Jpu

Canceled my Card

I opened up a Capital One credit card, and everything was going well until one month when they attempted to take a payment and the money wasn't there. They never alerted me of this, and when I learned of it on my own, I went to their website and tried to pay, but their system would not let me.

They then shut my account down and stripped me of over 200,000 points that I had built up, and cancelled my access to the airport lounges, for which I paid $495 to belong. I am very disappointed in Capital One.

User's recommendation: Heck No

Philippe T Tqv

| map-marker New York, New York

Legal hold by non- residential state

Capital One - Legal hold by non- residential state

A legal hold has been placed on my account by the florida state of revenue. I am in dispute of this order, and wonder why capital one is allowing a state, that it doesn't even have banking locations at, to harass me.

The State of Maryland has declined taking up the Florida case. I am a Maryland resident, and floria does not have jurisdiction over me.

Please reply to this email or call me.

User's recommendation: Not sure, since the first time this happened, capital one at least kept $500 for me. Now they give up all of my account funds. As a creature of habit, it hard for me to give up hope on them, but unless this changes, I may get there pragmatically.

Derrick B Pvd

| map-marker Seattle, Washington

Horrible App & Terrible Payment System

My Wife and I recently became Capital One Quicksilver card holders. And I've never had a Worse experience with an Awful Android App which doesn't work more then 98% of the time.

Then when I went to pay off my balance in full the first time, they blocked it and it took almost 3 weeks to resolve it. After that finally got taken care of and it was time to pay off my balance again, this time they flagged it and said it looked suspicious even though it came out of the same account as before. I made it clear this was not okay and they are going to lose my business over it. They just blew it off and didn't give a crap.

So soon as they complete their "Verification", I'm closing the account and moving on from them. Don't get Capital One...they are a complete waste of time and money.

User's recommendation: Don't Get Capital One, They will Screw You

Juvencio Nlj
map-marker Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Trying to get through to pay my bill

I keep trying ti pat my bill online and through the automatic payment system and it's not allowing me to do so. If it's 24/7 access than I should be able to ge through..

User's recommendation: Answer the phone or allow me to be able to pay my bill either on the phone or online

Blair Wjd

| map-marker Calgary, Alberta

Atrocious, horrible rude and I am so disgusted, and luckily retired….

Because it is now the goal of my life to warn the country CANADA in which i live to warn everyone. If its about walking from city to city until i meet every potential victim and plead with them to not make the life threatening mistake of getting CAPITAL TO NO ONE ugly card.

I stayed up all night trying to talk to someone. I made 6 calls in a row to get a supervisor. Each time i had to jump through the same hoops as every time. Finally when I had enough some things that I have NEVER experienced before.

I continued to ask the fellow the second time if there is a supervisor on site. He would not answer only deflecting for me to call back for an account manager which was not with whom I wanted to speak. I am going deaf and I had to continually ask for the rep to slow down and to really enunciate the last syllable and to really hit the final letter of each word. When one gentleman completely ignored that and I wanted his name for my report, and to know where the call centre was.

Now it is normal for people going deaf to hear their language better from someone raised and schooled in the same general area. So i asked if i can speak to an English as first language in no reason other than the fact my hearing is going fast. I asked at least 5 times to speak to someone like that. He said NO.

Then it occurred that they may not be in canada. I have the utmost respect for anyone whe speaks more than one language. So please believe that it is my handicap and the request was valid. He refused to tell me, he also refused to tell me his name, other than Dave to make it easier for people.

I think ones name is very importable and no matter what the name is, you should show the respect everyone deserves. And did I mention that the two times I spoke with him his phone name changed. He refused to admit I had already spoke to him 5 minutes before and just kept pretending. Then here is the PART THAT MADE THE INTERACTION WITHOUT QUESTION the all time worst of all callers in this and all galaxiesI was given a phone number with an automated request for my name and stateIM IN CANADA!

I called it so much it is tattooed on my frontal cortex. So i kept trying until 10 times came and went so I called again. The person who confirmed the number i was calling as correct, I pointed out that the number asks for info, and no matter how many ways I tried to get past the first step, I never could. HERE IT ISevery time I told the rep what happens he insisted I was dialing wrong.

Over and over until i begged the question. do you not believe I am so clueless that i cant dial a number that was written on several post its and written in SHARPIE on my hand. I am going to cancel this as soon as I pay my current bill. I am not someone who tells tall tales.

I am going to post this review everywhere including kitchen sinks.

Speaking to them today was like trying to work out mathematically the square root of my dog. Good bye Capital One, do every one a favour just go back to your old job, spreading the plague.

User's recommendation: Getting this card is like scheduling your execution

Alma W Qhu

| map-marker Maple Ridge, British Columbia

I lost my card

I requested a new card, I waited a week and called to see when the new card would arrive only to find out they hadn't processed my request, they needed additional information, but they could have reached out to me or at least let me know over email instead of waiting for me to call. Secondly, they told me I could still use my old card on-line while waiting for the new one in the mail, but then when that wasn't working (it was working some of the time like Skip, Coop Taxi, Transit and Ding but not for GPAY or MoneyGram), I called and they asked me to verify the physical card and when I said I didn't have it, that I was waiting for a new one, they said I couldn't make any purchases until the new one arrived, when I told them I was previously told I could still use the old card number for on-line purchases, they kept giving me the run around, I eventually called back and spoke with a supervisor who didn't really do anything but reassure me that my card was on its way and apologized for the inconvenience.

User's recommendation: Don't lose your card!

Zymir Wst
map-marker Thomson, Georgia

Told I’m delinquent in an acct that has no balance

I paid off capital one approximately 6 months ago yet they have reported me as delinquent to all 3 credit bureaus

User's recommendation: Be careful of this credit card

Michael S Wcd

Verified Reviewer

Funds transfered not showing in account

Capital One - Funds transfered not showing in account
Capital One - Funds transfered not showing in account - Image 2

They put arbitrary holds on payments, and then refused to release the funds Even though they have already received their money

Loss:
Cons:
  • All

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Choose a different credit card

About