Featured
Robert W Jow

| map-marker New Orleans, Louisiana

Online banking service is terrible and customer service is a waste of time.

Explore video interviews
Advertisements
Capital One - Online banking service is terrible and customer service is a waste of time. - Image 2

I used their online banking to pay my auto insurance right before leaving on vacation. The money was removed from my account and the website indicated that my payment was made on time. Weeks later I received a message from my insurance agent that my auto insurance had been cancelled due to nonpayment.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Terrible service and non-existent customer relations

Preferred solution: Payment of fees incurred as a result of their nonpayment of my auto insurance.

User's recommendation: Stay away from Capital One Bank and if you're already a customer find a new bank.

Charles M Wuu

I could not agree more except that I have been looking for a new bank for some time now and even the new breed of digital type bank is no better. In fact, they are typically worse. None of them give a rat's *** what their customers feel as, in their view, we are captive and have to use one of them so as long as they all stay *** we don't get any option.

Guest

I made a deposit on 10/17/2023. The ATM accepted the deposit, closed the deposit door, then gave me a message that the ATM is unable to accept , cash, check or bill pay deposits.

I still haven't gotten anything from them. When you call, it's like they have a script and are of no help. No updates, nothing. Just have to wait 10 day at the least for a provisional credit.

Meanwhile things are being returned left and right.

They have no idea how that will be handled. I would not recommend Capital One as a banking choice.

View more comments (1)
Townes Lpy
map-marker Bridgeport, Connecticut

Dispute a charge no one answered the call did not go through

I called trying to read the representative however no one answered the phone and when I tried to put in the prompts the phone didn't take it it was like I was talking to no one try to get someone live on the phone

User's recommendation: Tried to get someone live on the

Sunni S Kql

| map-marker Providence, Virginia

Capital One's Inconsistencies for Cust

Capital One's Inconsistencies for Cust

Capital One Reps/Managers,

JC- kjh599, spoke to on 03/16/24, very polite very empathetic but did the best she could) had to escalate to escalate to supervisor Mary- lsa222, who also did a great job with helping me follow the process on the things I need to send in and set proper expectations

03/26/24

Ivy (lied on call to tell me what wasn't there when evidence was provided and she looked at nothing), then when escalated to Manager Sam (was very argumentative on call, did not look at anything before giving me proper evaluation and gave me no options to address concern (Before 10am)

03/28/24

Sherri (verified evidence and supervisor that validated evidence)(415pm), Manager Mel (took over an hour to review evidence just to not resolve anything or honor my request to dispute my charge as requested. Ridiculous amount of time wasted while being at work when it seems like he was purposely dragging along the time until he got off of work(430pm)

Kat, lied on call to tell me I never spoke with a manager but never took a look at any notes until after the fact and then escalated call since it was evident she wanted to do the bare minimum (830pm)

Adis, Manager (855pm)

Olh614.

What a huge disappointment to have this many working for such a company. Refused to give me any information about the time frame of notes on file and was very combative, argumentative. Extremely unprofessional on the call and he should be investigated and/or fired after you take the time out to listen and review the call that took place as he painted me out to be someone who was trying to get over when that is not the case. The call felt very targeted and discriminated through his tone.

He was extremely aggressive with his tone which is unnecessary and disappointing to have with the company when as a customer I was trying to work with someone to get my issue resolved

Ricky, Pkk405, this man should get a promotion. He handled himself with professionalism and was empathetic. He knew exactly what to do and provided me with vital information as to how we can try to make the issue try to work out for me in my favor

Was told by multiple agents and mgrs (including Ricky) that my evidence was validated on the 16th and on the 19th of March which is also why I received the provision credit twice. So I do hate that I have to write to the corporation of the matter but I am trying to make sure I stick around to be a customer with Capital One because how this experience has been going for the people who have lacked, now has created tension with me as a paying customer and this is mainly with your management team.

I need this to be rectified as I have even decided to stay with this company when upgrading my card to the QuickSilver card and was looking to upgrade again but if this issue is not resolved and your company is not willing to be on the same page since one set of people are doing the work to help their customers and the others are not alongside of handling their customers in an extremely unprofessional and uncomfortable manner then we have a huge conflict of interest. Feel free to give me a call or email me at the contacts that will be listed below. Thank you and have a blessed day

04/02/24

Eman, (8:30pm)

Once again another agent asked me to provide documentation that I have already implemented into the system/link that the company asked me to provide. I am very unsure why we are back to square one with this situation.

As when addressing the concern, the agent did not provide any sound information as to why. He stated I should resend in my documents when he seen everything that I've sent in as the company has asked for me to do

Eman warm transferred to an unknown manager and the manager did not state his name nor did he say much on the call. The call magically disconnected and that was my last straw with the company so as a reference to the corporation I genuinely hope you resolve this matter as I will no longer be a customer for Capital One. You can go back and fourth with RIU Palace Pacifico as they will not get any money from me and Capital One will NEVER attain business from me in the future as this matter was handled poorly and the company has a lot of work to do as their frontline workers and management team are not following the same policies and procedures.

Please look into the calls on the days listed with the front line workers and managers that I've spoken with. The company is welcome to alleviate me from the potential charge that I am disputing that I did provide substantial amounts of evidence for as the dispute department did not do their job to fight for their customer

Let it be known that Capital One and RIU resorts will come to an agreement to address the charge between each other because neither company is going to receive a penny from me

Loss:
Pros:
  • Did help to bring my credit up
Cons:
  • When it comes to disputes they do not handle them well

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Stay away

Terry B Ckc

Verified Reviewer

Refuses to express mail new card overseas

Capital One - Refuses to express mail new card overseas
My credit card was shut down due to 'fraudulent activity'. As a loyal customer of Capital One for 24 years, I asked them to express mail the new card. They refused. I live overseas, and it will take three weeks to get the new card by mail!
Pros:
  • Long term customer
Cons:
  • Unresponsive customer service

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Don't use Capital One

Virginia B Ksm

Poor Customer Service

My Capitol One Credit card is in good standing, even usually with a running credit balance. Last week I tried to purchase several bottles of wine from a New York State Finger Lakes Winery which I like a lot.

The online purchase failed but did not provide any reason for the failure, so I ended up calling in a phone order instead. The winery placed the order to be charged to my Capitol one Card and it was declined with a cryptic message "transaction limit reached".

I later called Capitol Ones and was informed that the card was locked for suspected fraudulent activity (DUH, yes, my attempt tp purchase the wine). OK, I understand that there needs to be some security checks. I had to go thru hoops on the phone with customer service to prove that I am who I am.

Process took about 20 minutes. I was assured that the card was unlocked and that the charge would now go through OK.

I called the winery back and the card declined AGAIN. Once more I called Capitol One customer service and got the same talking points: card locked for suspected fraud. I complained that I was JUST assured that the transaction would work.

They had no answer but to put me thru the same hoops and verification questions again, another 20 minutes wasted. They gave total assurance this would now work.

Well, guess what? Another try for a phone order several hours latter and the card declined a third time. And the winery probably thinks I am a con artist.

I ended up buying wine at a different source using a different credit card.

A day later I figured I had to call Capitol One back as now my card was locked for any use given all the declined charges. This time I asked to speak to a supervisor. Bad move. I had to go thru all the same hoops PLUS more including a demand for photos front and back of my driver license.

I was not happy but I complied. Once again they said everything is fine to try the charge again... I told them too late, I made a different purchase elsewhere with another card. This last time I was tied up at least 45 minutes with them, repeating the same verification questions plus more.

I do not plan on using CAPITOL ONE again, but will keep the card open as contingency only.

I totally understand the first security/fraud check, but I cannot understand how the card declined three times for "fraud" when I went thru their verification and told them in advance I would be making the purchase.

They never apologized once.

I told them I was a very unhappy customer, and continue to be a "Pissed Customer". -- Ginny B Cranberry Twp, PA

Cons:
  • Poor customer service
  • Much aggregation

Preferred solution: Looking for Apology to me and the Winery. Fix this procedure so that charges can go through as promised after first check.

User's recommendation: Do not use Capitol One unless you like aggravation aplenty

Guest

"but will keep the card open as contingency only" And they'll probably cancel it. Banks do not make money from people who foolishly leave a credit balance on a card.

That's plain stupid. As to the wine, get it somewhere else and see if the card shuts down.

I'll bet it won't. You and your cats will be fine without wine for a few days you skell...

Guest

Cap One ia a *** Bank. You're not the only one with this story. Poor customer service on their part.

View more comments (1)
Trent J Aps

INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME PAYMENTS

Capital One - INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME PAYMENTS - Image 2
Capital One - INTEREST RATE REMAINS AT 32% AFTER 2 YEARS AND 100% ON TIME PAYMENTS - Image 3

3 years ago, I was rebuilding my credit from the mid 520's. I had to purchase a prepaid card and start from scratch.

I wanted to open another account to help open more lines of credit and establish history with Capital One. Their interest rate was absurd at 32%, but I didn't intend on using it. However, life happens, and I was in a situation where I was forced to use the card, so I had a roof over my head. The entire time I have had this card, I have had a 100% payment history, sometimes paying more than necessary to get ahead.

I recently called them asking if they could lower after paying them religiously on time ever since I have owned the card. They told me the interest rate is determined by the Federal Reserve and will not budge below the 32% interest rate that I was given when I didn't have the best credit. A simple Google search shows the average interest rate for good credit is around 22%. I did just purchase a car and have never missed a payment on anything within the last 3 years.

My score was in the excellent range at Hoffman Ford when I purchased my vehicle.

I realize credit companies do not have to lower their rates, but on the flip side, they can lower them for loyal paying customers. If you are in desperate need of a credit card, go for Citibank as Capital One cares nothing for their members undivided devotion to payment.

Pros:
  • Credit at an exorbitant rate
Cons:
  • 3 years and 100 percent payment history will not lower rate

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Go to Discover or Citibank.

Guest

No way in less than three years did one secured credit card take you from a 525 credit score to between 781 and 850.( excellent range). Your interest rate on your auto loan would be mid single digits if excellent. Also, if you had excellent credit you could get a new card with a very low rate and do a balance transfer.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2487563

I bet the dealer conned her on the auto loan. They saw the credit card at 32% rate and told her with her “excellent ” credit they could get her a rate of 20%.

Guest

Go look at the interest rate on your car loan. Excellent credit is a score of 781- 850.(850 is the highest).

In that range a used car loan is 7.5% and new car 5.6%. It seems unlikely you were using a prepaid secured card three years ago and that raised your score from 525 to 781 or higher. If your credit is excellent you should be able to get a new card at a much lower rate and do a balance transfer.

However, you need someone to look at your accounts and an accurate score. Your info doesn’t add up.

View more comments (2)
Philippe T Tqv

| map-marker New York, New York

Legal hold by non- residential state

Capital One - Legal hold by non- residential state
A legal hold has been placed on my account by the florida state of revenue. I am in dispute of this order, and wonder why capital one is allowing a state, that it doesn't even have banking locations at, to harass me. The State of Maryland has declined taking up the Florida case. I am a Maryland resident, and floria does not have jurisdiction over me. Please reply to this email or call me.

User's recommendation: Not sure, since the first time this happened, capital one at least kept $500 for me. Now they give up all of my account funds. As a creature of habit, it hard for me to give up hope on them, but unless this changes, I may get there pragmatically.

Blair Wjd

| map-marker Calgary, Alberta

Atrocious, horrible rude and I am so disgusted, and luckily retired….

Because it is now the goal of my life to warn the country CANADA in which i live to warn everyone. If its about walking from city to city until i meet every potential victim and plead with them to not make the life threatening mistake of getting CAPITAL TO NO ONE ugly card.

I stayed up all night trying to talk to someone. I made 6 calls in a row to get a supervisor. Each time i had to jump through the same hoops as every time. Finally when I had enough some things that I have NEVER experienced before.

I continued to ask the fellow the second time if there is a supervisor on site. He would not answer only deflecting for me to call back for an account manager which was not with whom I wanted to speak. I am going deaf and I had to continually ask for the rep to slow down and to really enunciate the last syllable and to really hit the final letter of each word. When one gentleman completely ignored that and I wanted his name for my report, and to know where the call centre was.

Now it is normal for people going deaf to hear their language better from someone raised and schooled in the same general area. So i asked if i can speak to an English as first language in no reason other than the fact my hearing is going fast. I asked at least 5 times to speak to someone like that. He said NO.

Then it occurred that they may not be in canada. I have the utmost respect for anyone whe speaks more than one language. So please believe that it is my handicap and the request was valid. He refused to tell me, he also refused to tell me his name, other than Dave to make it easier for people.

I think ones name is very importable and no matter what the name is, you should show the respect everyone deserves. And did I mention that the two times I spoke with him his phone name changed. He refused to admit I had already spoke to him 5 minutes before and just kept pretending. Then here is the PART THAT MADE THE INTERACTION WITHOUT QUESTION the all time worst of all callers in this and all galaxiesI was given a phone number with an automated request for my name and stateIM IN CANADA!

I called it so much it is tattooed on my frontal cortex. So i kept trying until 10 times came and went so I called again. The person who confirmed the number i was calling as correct, I pointed out that the number asks for info, and no matter how many ways I tried to get past the first step, I never could. HERE IT ISevery time I told the rep what happens he insisted I was dialing wrong.

Over and over until i begged the question. do you not believe I am so clueless that i cant dial a number that was written on several post its and written in SHARPIE on my hand. I am going to cancel this as soon as I pay my current bill. I am not someone who tells tall tales.

I am going to post this review everywhere including kitchen sinks.

Speaking to them today was like trying to work out mathematically the square root of my dog. Good bye Capital One, do every one a favour just go back to your old job, spreading the plague.

User's recommendation: Getting this card is like scheduling your execution

Alma W Qhu

| map-marker Maple Ridge, British Columbia

I lost my card

I requested a new card, I waited a week and called to see when the new card would arrive only to find out they hadn't processed my request, they needed additional information, but they could have reached out to me or at least let me know over email instead of waiting for me to call. Secondly, they told me I could still use my old card on-line while waiting for the new one in the mail, but then when that wasn't working (it was working some of the time like Skip, Coop Taxi, Transit and Ding but not for GPAY or MoneyGram), I called and they asked me to verify the physical card and when I said I didn't have it, that I was waiting for a new one, they said I couldn't make any purchases until the new one arrived, when I told them I was previously told I could still use the old card number for on-line purchases, they kept giving me the run around, I eventually called back and spoke with a supervisor who didn't really do anything but reassure me that my card was on its way and apologized for the inconvenience.

User's recommendation: Don't lose your card!

Michael S Wcd

Verified Reviewer

Funds transfered not showing in account

Capital One - Funds transfered not showing in account
Capital One - Funds transfered not showing in account - Image 2
They put arbitrary holds on payments, and then refused to release the funds Even though they have already received their money
Loss:
Cons:
  • All

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Choose a different credit card

Zoran Z Arw

Ranzozlatovic@***.com

Capital One - Ranzozlatovic@***.com
Capital One - Ranzozlatovic@***.com - Image 2
Capital One - Ranzozlatovic@***.com - Image 3
Updated by user Nov 20, 2023

I hope tax office can take payment from frozen account to I can work with my money .Than you

Original review Nov 20, 2023
Hi my name is Zoran Zlatovic I have account in Hogys bank from my fionce but account is frozen because tax office want tax payment and I can't pay because my account is frozen can you help me ,I have yours address from them office but I don't have email from them can they take payment from tax from my account and send me code to I can use my money .Thank you
Pros:
  • Progress

Preferred solution: To tax service take payment from my frozen account and give me a code to I can work with my money.Thank you

User's recommendation: Very nice customer service

Charles M Wuu

Forced Cancellation of Debit Card and slow Replacement

Capital One used to provided excellent services and value. At some point for whatever reason they chose to sell off the investment arm of the bank and that seemed to herald a new "Who Cares?" paradigm that has since been the watchword in all that they do.

Fundamentally, it seems as if they simply decided that they no longer wish to have any other type of customer than commercial or business clients and have chosen to punish those who remain until we get the hint and leave. Sadly, I have tried that and they seem well aware that the other banks hate us too, or at least they view as nothing but cash cattle and intend to fully exploit that view knowing we have no alternatives that will be substantively different.

My most recent debacle is not the first time this has occurred which is all the more infuriating and to set the stage let me noted I have 3 accounts at the bank. It seems they no longer offer one item which is my Simply Checking account which is just a standard personal checking account opened at a branch several years ago. I subsequently opened a Capital One 360 account which I dub "Spending" and as one might guess is also a checking account aka a Demand Deposit account.

While not a factor in this, I also have a Money Market account. I have a debit card which is linked to the 360 account known as Spending where the Simply Checking has no debit card associated with it. As we all know, the fraud attempts out there today are prolific to say the least and at some level I can understand some policy choices but I do not and never will understand poorly conceived and ill executed choices that don't account for the pertinent details involved as I feel is the case in my current example.

Recently I was trying desperately to get funds that I needed to prevent an event that nobody wants to deal with, an auto reposession. This led me to try some things I would otherwise have dismissed and these in turn led me to an almost manic need to make one of these things yield the promissed fruit.

These idiotic adds that we should not allow but for some reason do - "Get paid for surveys" and their ilk. Also "Need a loan?". They all end up as nothing more than exploits based on the hope they generate against your dire need and none have any intent to actually pay off. In fury I delved the fine print and understood the requirements of making one of them pay off and was determined I would make that happen and in the course of attempting that, I went to site and accepted a deal for a flashlight for only the shipping of 9.99.

Shocker, they also charged my card a second time for 39.95 and when I saw this I reached out to Capital One to address it. Mind you, my card was not lost or missing, a merchant had simply charged it again via a duplicitous approach. As part of handling this, Capital One forced me to cancel and replace the debit card setting in motion this needless stupid situation. I can't access the funds in my account because to do so, I need a debit card.

The replacement is, of course, still coming despite that it was supposedly expedited (which I had to specifically ask for after being told how long it would take and after I had already made clear I needed it yesterday and noting the last similar incident). For the record, I resent the idea that something that takes 3 to 4 days is called "expedited". Overnight is expedited.

Worse, the damn thing per FedEx is sitting in an adjacent city waiting to be delivered tomorrow while I sit here desperately in need of the damn thing. Not even the option to circumvent their sloth by picking it up so there's a finger for FedEx too.

Now, I have basically every damn money app out there and in a finger for all of them, whatever moron programmed them has their instant transfers centered on, yep - you guessed it, Debit Cards.

I don't get what idiot then added the option for 2 to 3 business days via the linked bank but if you are reading this I have a special finger just for you. Bluntly that is of no use to anyone and I am quite sure it's there on purpose to cause mix ups which then result in unfixable situations which they then exploit by having captive funds that we cannot take back. But, as I considered various transfers back and forth to somehow get my money to an account or app that would then allow me to USE IT, it occurred to me that my Simply Checking didn't have a debit card associated with it. I'd found previously that I could not have one card that was linked to both accounts (WHY?) and I'd gotten sidetracked trying to find the control in the Capital One app to simply request one as all they had included was the request to replace one and not to simply get one issued.

At this point I reached out to customer service and was shocked when told she could request one which would take 2 to 3 business days and which point they would then issue one that would then be shipped out in, yep, 2 to 3 business days at which point THEN it would be in transit for 7 to 10 business days. At this point I began wondering if they are even listening when they respond as you say, "I need this yesterday" and they respond by supplying options that will take upwards of a week. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to grasp that those are not options at all.

Moreover, how in God's name was this not noted and acted upon by them during the last stupid time this happened?

The technology underneath them has evolved several thousand fold while their ideas and policies seem to have retreated in the Dark Ages. In every way they are constantly enabled to move faster and easier and yet, what they offer us is slower and increasingly painstaking and damned if I am not sick to death of it.

Cons:
  • Do not care and have no intent to change

Preferred solution: Fix controls in App Come up to 2023 time tables Give a damn and address our feelings instead doubling down on your choices

User's recommendation: Find a bank that grasps now means now and when you do, call me and let me know who the *** it is so I can get with them too.

Guest

Face it, you screwed yourself and now you are calling bank employees *** and want them to jump through hoops for you.

Zoran Z Xhs

Respond for a question

Capital One - Respond for a question
Capital One - Respond for a question - Image 2
Capital One - Respond for a question - Image 3
I get money transfer from my fionce and tax office is frozen my account because I need to pay tax and after that they gonna send me a code to I can work with this money * don't have any money except on that account so * would like to tax office take tax from that money on my account and send me my money.Thank everything
Pros:
  • Progress
Cons:
  • Progress

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Everything good

Joy S Lpj

| map-marker Bellevue, Washington

Closed account for no reason

I made a security deposit of 750.00 for a capital one quick silver card. Capital one would not activate my card until I sent my checking account statement. When I did they closed my account for no reason. They also stated that it would take two months to get my security deposit back.

User's recommendation: I recommend never to do business with Capital one.

Crime M

Frustrating!!!

When you call Cap One's Customer Service, it's so frustrating!!! They bounce you around for simple questions, and with most of the reps, it's a language barrier. Simple questions cannot be understood.

User's recommendation: Do not recommend

fed-up

Verified Reviewer

The customer service was fantastic help me so profesional just want to say thank you Customer Service is everything and capitol one you have restored my faith in the quality of service is still nu

just needed to update contact info they made it easy and fast and apply to all accounts with a smile
Pros:
  • All around great to deal with nice
Cons:
  • Not a bad word to say

Preferred solution: the capitol one is the best

User's recommendation: definitly if looking for a line of credit Capitol one is great

map-marker Little Rock, Arkansas

Terrible customer service

Terrible customer service by phone and by social media representatives. Unauthorized payments twice unresolved.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article